PC troubles. Help required!

Here you can ask everything that's Guild related.

Moderator: Dust

Genetics
Die-hard

Re: PC troubles. Help required!

Post by Genetics » 06 Aug 2009 14:21

Kira wrote:
Dust wrote:A normal raid wouldn't be bad. But a RAID-0? No thanks. Increasing the likelyhood for a catastrophic data loss event doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for a Home PC. It's nice for Video or other memory intensive work, as temp disk, for which data integrity is not absolutely crucial (especially since SMART can warn you when it happens).
But for data you want to keep, like your OS?
I never considered my OS as data that is crucial to keep :o Only takes a few hours to reinstall it on another drive. I don't keep personal documents on the same disk ofcourse.
hours???

I got a special tweaked Windos XP that contains all i need, from adobe, to firefox, winrar, full office... takes me 13min to intall all and it happens all automaticly. Just insert disk, select from the boot what software i need and rest happens automaticly. Any slow services or non needed ones are filtered out too. every month orso there is a new tweaked version with the latest needed patch updates.

Only thing left to do is copy the Wow.exe to my program list and get a wallpaper. (and somtimes install special needed drivers, like GSM and such)

(Ps:Bought me a N97 nokia today !! :) its awsome, the chinese version tho, has a chinese keyboard and can write chinese too, its bloody awsome)
Noolah

Post by Noolah » 06 Aug 2009 14:41

Genetics wrote:(Ps:Bought me a N97 nokia today !! :) its awsome, the chinese version tho, has a chinese keyboard and can write chinese too, its bloody awsome)
A mate of mine who has never had anything other than Nokia mobiles (he's even had same mobile provider for the last 14 years) has been turned off Nokia because of the N97. He says even with the firmware updates that have been released it's shite and the worst phone he's ever owned. He's just picked up the new iPhone, he even switched mobile providers to be able to do so. For this guy, not having a Nokia is like Dust not having a Mac.
Kira

Post by Kira » 08 Aug 2009 10:55

Genetics wrote:
Kira wrote:
Dust wrote:A normal raid wouldn't be bad. But a RAID-0? No thanks. Increasing the likelyhood for a catastrophic data loss event doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for a Home PC. It's nice for Video or other memory intensive work, as temp disk, for which data integrity is not absolutely crucial (especially since SMART can warn you when it happens).
But for data you want to keep, like your OS?
I never considered my OS as data that is crucial to keep :o Only takes a few hours to reinstall it on another drive. I don't keep personal documents on the same disk ofcourse.
hours???

I got a special tweaked Windos XP that contains all i need, from adobe, to firefox, winrar, full office... takes me 13min to intall all and it happens all automaticly. Just insert disk, select from the boot what software i need and rest happens automaticly. Any slow services or non needed ones are filtered out too. every month orso there is a new tweaked version with the latest needed patch updates.
I used to have an image too, but i found it to be annoying. It means you reinstall with old software, drivers etc, and the thing I do right after is update everything. So I might as well just reinstall from scratch. And also, windows is currently just for gaming, so I hardly need any software :)