For the love of... WoW.

Here you can ask everything that's Guild related.

Moderator: Dust

Pallydra

For the love of... WoW.

Post by Pallydra » 14 Sep 2009 16:02

Another PC failure has stroke upon me, and I was wondering if anyone have any good ideas to fix it.

My PC runs SLI with 2x Nvidia 8800 GT cards, and now one of them, has to decided to not work, this one seems to be the "main" card, and until now I was able to just run on the other card, this only worked for a few days however. I can start the PC, but it seems that my motherboard uses the port from the GFX card, and I can open the hardware menu, and theres a little marker at one of the GFX card I open it and translated to english it says: Windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems (Code 43)

The problem them occured during one of our nights on Mimiron hardmode, and the screen got all blurry, and before it went black windows came with a popup saying something about the cards driver shutting down, and some sort of number I didnt manage to write down, or remember.. I then started the PC over, and over again a couple of times before trying to use another port, which worked fine. I could start the PC before I tried that, but as soon as I tried launching WoW, It started with the same stripes, and blurry screen again.

I've used windows service to update the software, but that doesnt do anything - at all.

Been searching on the web abit aswell, but noone seems to be able to agree what a code 43 is. Also as I run on a Windows 7 beta, I am not sure if I can use the topics of people who have had the same problem on a Vista machine to anything?

Eitherway I hope someone has some genious ideas, so I dont have to get it repaired - again.

I should still be online, as my laptop works fine.

Pallydra.
"Otto spells Otto backwards"

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Re: For the love of... WoW.

Post by MindyMcfly » 14 Sep 2009 16:17

Daft question, but have you removed the defective hardware?
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Noolah

Post by Noolah » 14 Sep 2009 16:19

Oi, that was going to be my daft question.

Edit: Oh yeah, code 43 is basically what it says. The device hasn't responded/initialised as expected, so the driver (software that makes the hardware work) has told windows about it. This could mean it's overheating and crapping out, or is just knackered. I had a 7800 GTX do this to me, it was fine once I had it replaced, it was also part of an SLI set-up. Until it was replaced, I'd just swapped the cards around so the remaining one was in the primary slot, so it wouldn't confuse the PC as it booted.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 14 Sep 2009 18:17

Thanks for the fast answers guys.

No I havent removed it yet, as my motherboard hasnt got a screen-port.

Now, between the 2 cards there some sort of connection-wire or something, can I just take this off when I move the functional card to the upper postion, and then put it on again?

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 14 Sep 2009 18:31

Don't take my word for it .. .but these two cards are both normal cards connected by a SLI cable ( the cable you've mentioned). You should be able to take the wire off and take out the duff card, move the good card to the other slot and it should work.

However ( usual disclaimer) get someone who knows what they're doing to do it.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 14 Sep 2009 18:58

Normal cards..Hmmm, good point. My first PC running SLI though, and I havent been very impressed, though I suppose I wont be noticing SLI in Wow.

Eitherway, I've changed cards in my PC before, mainly soundcard, and it doesnt seem like much of a hazzle, so I'll do it tomorrow.

But should I put the bad card in again, or just the good one?

Also I wonder if I should get another card to set the SLI backup again, I've been thinking of upgrading my PC a little, so I figured that it might just be better to buy a newer card, and run without SLI?

As of that, anyone bought/tried any new cards recently and can recommend anything?

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 14 Sep 2009 19:23

Pallydra wrote:But should I put the bad card in again, or just the good one?
Just the good one .. although it may not prove the card is duff.. it could be the slot.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 14 Sep 2009 21:22

True, but I should be able to take both cards out, and try the good card in the bad cards slot, and the other way around I suppose

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 15 Sep 2009 08:58

As a side note I used to have dust build up problems in my old pc, removed the gfx card and cleaned the connectors, that fixed the problem.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 15 Sep 2009 09:56

Don't blame me for your problems, just get a mac...
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Knix

Post by Knix » 15 Sep 2009 13:25

Dust wrote:Don't blame me for your problems, just get a mac...

hahaha
i r kappa.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 15 Sep 2009 15:04

When I had my PC fixed, I had the dust blown out of it aswell, so that seems unlikely.

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...