Exploring the World of Warcaft

Here you can ask everything that's Guild related.

Moderator: Dust

MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Exploring the World of Warcaft

Post by MindyMcfly » 07 Feb 2008 17:15

Ive always enjoyed the exploring side of WoW, its great being able to go pretty much anywhere and there are some pretty amazing sights.

There are also loads of mysterys and areas that seem to be overlooked though, for example at the end of Strat:UD theres an instance portal to the left of the Barons room. Theres the instance portal in stormwind thats never been opened.

There are plenty of quest chains that end abruptly, Uldum in tanaris springs to mind.

Theres a huge section of Wetlands taken up by Grim Batol, only used for a Horde quest.

There so much to explore, Im sure so many new players must be missing out on this vast amount of content. I was in felwood the otherday in the area with the giant trees surrounded by the corruption, what a fantastic work of fantasy art :D

Does anyone else like this side of the game or know any forgotten areas? What is your fave zone and which places do you truly dislike?
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Palian

Post by Palian » 07 Feb 2008 17:50

The Grim Batol area is cool, its said theyre making an instance there next expansion. It kinda looks like CoT did in Tanaris before it became what it is today.

I remember the patch before BC was released, I was in an instance you could enter as a ghost, as you could go through the bars. It was located where Karazhan is now. I entered it and it looked really huge. Huge place, looked like a prison. And it clearly wasnt done, as the doors and so on were called "doodad_iron_wrought_door". I also remember this really cool, enormous room that was full of water. Looked like an underwater boss fight would be happening there. From the bottom multiple human corpses were attached to chains, so they were kinda floating upwards w/o reaching the top, just hanging there upside down. I got some really cool screenies of it.

I remember exploring Duskwood when I levelled my druid, and I really loved when you walk into that grove in the middle. I was rather startled when I suddenly ran into the biggest dragon I ever saw.

And ofc Moonglade is a nice place :)

I dont think there's any places I havent been with my druid. I loved seeing old Ironforge for the first time too, after a lock feared me through the wall :)
genobi

Post by genobi » 07 Feb 2008 18:51

I remember exploring that crypt by kara also really huge, had to die then res other side of the gates. They say there going to finish it:D
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 07 Feb 2008 20:20

There is a place under Arcatraz the naga elite island off Duskwallow Marsh where you can actually still go see the still alive king of Stormwind (Well you used to before TBC). Not able to talk too him.

He requires a looong swim underwater to reach. So the Missing Diplomat looks to be continued. Probably years away knowing Blizz.

The noble Argent Dawn looks beyond petty issues and differences
Jem
Die-hard

Post by Jem » 07 Feb 2008 20:25

Yeah, exploring is also my approach to the game :)

At the beginning I would love to go deep into hostile territory, many levels above me. At Level 15 I did a field trip from Darkshore to Orgrimmar, Burning Steppes with Level 20. Just because I was so eager for the environment and atmosphere.
And yeah, I explored Grim Batol and yeah that Uldum quest end sucked, same as the quest in Southshore with the abducted guy at his Burned Down Inn (tho it is now finished).

Fave places:
- The Top of Ironforge and jumping down to Menethil
- Kodo Graveyard in Desolace
- Everything in Silverpine and Duskwood (esp. the NW)
Palian

Post by Palian » 07 Feb 2008 21:12

Also the trinket of Eranikus from Sunken Temple! It just suddenly stopped at some stupid hut in Winterspring, and it was a rather cool story behind that chain too!
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 08 Feb 2008 11:23

There is also the instance portal to Hyjal sat there mocking me. I tried for about 3hrs to jump into there.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 08 Feb 2008 12:06

the trolls town between felwood and darkshore that you can see when flying
the unknown tiger mount that you were supposed to buy in Stranglethorn Vale
the scattered gnome vendors around the world in hidden places... you could buy patterns and sell them triple price in AH.....

the secret chest of MC, behind golemagg, through that small rift.
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 09 Feb 2008 00:35

MindyMcfly wrote:There is also the instance portal to Hyjal sat there mocking me. I tried for about 3hrs to jump into there.
When you go there its the same map as hyjal instance but its empty.
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Jasoran
Die-hard

Post by Jasoran » 09 Feb 2008 09:30

Lilandra wrote:There is a place under Arcatraz the naga elite island off Duskwallow Marsh where you can actually still go see the still alive king of Stormwind (Well you used to before TBC). Not able to talk too him.
He's not there anymore. Also, Arcatraz is in Outland. :P
You're thinking of Alcaz Island.

Something else they've removed is the Ravasaur Trainer in Un'Goro. This was supposed to be the Horde's equivalent to the Wintersabers, but they never got around to finishing it. Presumably they realized it was just a boring waste of time. But the NPC stood there for years before they finally got rid of him. :?

A place I'm really curious about is the Greymane Wall...
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 11 Feb 2008 11:19

Hmmm, that certainly sounds interesting. Its not a common place for Aliance characters to go either, except warlocks who get the quest for SFK.

Im getting far too much into the Lore, reading books in Scarlet Monestry and stuff... I think I need to get out more :P

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")