Dungeon System Changes

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Dust
The Boss

Dungeon System Changes

Post by Dust » 29 Oct 2009 09:46

Today I read this, and it made me very concerned...

[blue="Webpage";"http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/und ... system.xml"]In the upcoming content patch there are many new additions and improvements. Perhaps one of the largest changes is the introduction of the new dungeon system. This new system will be available for all dungeons. A “Dungeons” button will replace the Looking For Group feature currently available in-game, and provides additional benefits to those who use it.

System Highlights:
  • Join as a Group or Solo
  • Cross-Realm Instances/Grouping
  • Instance Teleporting
  • Smarter Group Matching
  • Daily Random Dungeons
  • Repeat Random Dungeons
  • Choose Multiple Dungeons
  • Vote Kick system
  • Lovin’ the PUG Bonuses
  • Looking For Raid
  • Need Before Greed Updated
  • Group Disenchanting
Join as a Group or Solo
Much like the current Looking For Group system, players will be able to join the dungeon system and choose the role they would like to fill within groups: Healing, DPS, or Tank. In addition, once roles have been identified, they will be applied to all dungeons chosen. Players will now be able to choose multiple dungeons and will no longer be limited to three. The system has also improved group creation and matchmaking capabilities and will create more balanced groups when assessing the selected roles of players.

The LFG channel has been disconnected from the dungeon tool and can be used by anyone in a major city, much like the trade channel currently available.

Cross Realm Instances
When joining the dungeon system as a solo player or with a partial group, additional random players can be found within the same Battlegroup via cross-realm instancing.

While the new system offers the ability to group with player from other realms within your Battlegroup, you won’t be able to use this to manually invite specific players to groups.

Instance Teleporting
When you use the dungeon tool to find a dungeon, you’ll get ported to the inside of the dungeon, much like the current Battleground system. When you leave the instance, you will be returned to your previous location. If you need to leave temporarily, such as for repairs or to purchase reagents, you can teleport back to the dungeon again. This feature can be used both by groups looking for other players and by premade groups of five who use the dungeon tool.

Smarter Group Matching
The new system will now work to match at least one experienced player for the assigned dungeon with less experienced players in the group. It will more carefully match class types, and will more consistently match players of equal levels for the dungeon chosen. The interface will also allow players to see how many players are looking for groups as well as the average wait time of groups that the tool has formed.

Daily Random Dungeons
Players or groups can choose specific dungeons or they can instead take their chances with a random Heroic or random normal dungeon. Picking randomly conveys some additional benefits. If you defeat the final boss in a dungeon, you receive 2 Emblems of Frost for Heroic dungeons and 2 Emblems of Triumph for normal dungeons. In addition, after players have received 2 Emblems of Frost for the first Heroic dungeon they do in a day, they will earn 2 Emblems of Triumph for each additional random Heroic dungeons in that day. These random rewards replace the current daily dungeon and daily Heroic dungeon quests. The current NPCs who offer those quests will offer weekly repeatable raid quests instead. You can also earn level-appropriate rewards for running random pre-Wrath of the Lich King dungeons while you are leveling up.

Lovin’ the PUG
Players who take part in groups with one or more members who have been matched with them randomly from within the dungeon system will receive extra rewards, including the coveted Perky Pug non-combat pet. The more random players you group with, the faster you could get your new pet!

Vote Kick
Players who use the system to find additional random members for their party will be afforded a couple of extra conveniences to help them perform well. The loot option is fixed to the updated Need Before Greed option (and unalterable by any member) and players can vote to remove another party member from the group. It will take four votes in order to remove someone, however, so consider this newfound power carefully.

Looking for Raid
There will be a new option available to players that can be accessed via the raid information screen in the interface or by typing /lfr. Players will also be able to take part in raid-specific weekly quests and will be able to browse the system manually for any other players looking for a raid dungeon group.

Need Before Greed Updated
Need Before Greed will now recognize gear appropriate for a class in three ways: the class must be able to equip the item, pure melee will be unable to roll on spellpower items, and classes are limited to their dominant armor type (for example, plate for paladins). All items will still be available via greed rolls should no member be able to use the item as well as the new disenchant option will be available for all parties.

Group Disenchanting
Players in a group with an enchanter will now have the option to automatically disenchant any items that are not claimed by a player from within the loot window. Players will have this option available to them in both premade groups and in randomly matched groups. This option is available in any loot system, even if players don’t use the new dungeon tool.[/blue]

I'll have to PUG to get that pet!?
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Re: Dungeon System Changes

Post by MindyMcfly » 29 Oct 2009 10:03

I really hope some of that's a joke!
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Pygo

Post by Pygo » 29 Oct 2009 10:25

Im really not that fond of getting the highest emblems outside end game raiding.
Being "forced" to do daily heroics, and now weekly raid:
"The current NPCs who offer those quests will offer weekly repeatable raid quests instead."
Going back to Nax etc just to kill an easy boss etc - its just so meh!

/end of rant :)
Pygo: Level 85 Draenei Priest
Phocuz: Level 85 Gnome Mage
Kristal

Post by Kristal » 29 Oct 2009 14:25

Sounds way too complicated, and way too much effort being put into making people play with randoms. If I want to play with randoms then fine, but I don't want to be penalised for no doing so.

Any system that has to be made this confusing suggests to me that they're doing it wrong :p
Rathil

Post by Rathil » 29 Oct 2009 17:46

actualy imagine a low populated faction on a low populated server... they are having an orgasm right now... they will be able to PUG :) WEEE

Its not such a bad idea actualy... :) its a verry good one... u can roll what ever dungeon u like on your low lvl alt...
Id rather be right all alone than be whrong next to milions of imbeciles -
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 29 Oct 2009 23:58

I believe I read that the emblems you can get from just doing a random dungeon, cuz sure as hell I aint playing with a pure PUG to get Emblems.
"Otto spells Otto backwards"

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
shasokias

Post by shasokias » 31 Oct 2009 16:15

What they'll do in the patch after this one is to delete all the scenery, have one city with one street. have a row of portals at one side if the street leading to dungeons and raids, and on the other side a row of vendors selling epics in exchange for sob stories about not having enough play time. badges for really epic gear will be obtained by spending more time stationary in the centre of the street.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 31 Oct 2009 16:22

I don't think that'll be ready until the next expansion shas.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
shasokias

Post by shasokias » 31 Oct 2009 17:31

People cant even be bothered to fly to places now, even with Flightpaths every three inches.
Ixora

Post by Ixora » 31 Oct 2009 23:46

The other day I was flying from Darnassus to Theramore. It took 8 minutes to get there. I think insta-teleport to more and more places is a rather good thing.
Frozen by The Frozen Throne.
Genetics
Die-hard

Post by Genetics » 01 Nov 2009 22:32

Ixora wrote:The other day I was flying from Darnassus to Theramore. It took 8 minutes to get there. I think insta-teleport to more and more places is a rather good thing.
Thats whats actually fun ... going everywhere instant is boring... having everything without workign for it gets boring fast. reason why Wow is maybe 1/3th of what it ever was. Yes the bosses strategies are beter designed now .. buts thats all ... you dont have to 'work ' anymore for stuff and so dont have the 'exitement' not anymore when achieving stuff.

I remember a quest from silithus, i needed to fly to moonglade (15min) back to silithus (15min) back to moonglade and than darnassus i think. so 50 min just flying. That was annoying at that time sure, was nice to see the surroundings for a chance but in the end i still remember it and can still laugh with it. While if that wouldnt have happaned, it was again a quest done .. which you will forget anyway. There is nothing from Wolk that i still remember being fun, except things i solo or i grinded (aka mounts and legendaries).

If in RL nothing happens to you than you have nothing of meanign in your life, wont have memories. But small things like falling or sayign something stuid, or even doign somethign dumb that you regret makes life fun. because its those times that you remember, those rare moments of super happiness (kids, new house), winning the lottery, gettign a awsome job, doing a best buy of something, loosing your GF and so on ...

Having things in a harder way is lots more fun that having all on a dish. (ofc being unlucky all the time isnt, it needs to be balanced ofc)
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 01 Nov 2009 22:48

I am a mage, so traveling was never as long and time consuming for me as it was for most people. I don't think I missed anything though :)