Man Sues Activision Blizzard

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

tsjoen

Man Sues Activision Blizzard

Post by tsjoen » 16 Dec 2009 19:56

A World of Warcraft player, backed by celebrities Martin Lee Gore and Winona Ryder, has filed a civil suit against WoW publisher Activision Blizzard over the speed of the game.

Of all the Blizzard Entertainment games, World of Warcraft has garnered the greatest amount of lawsuits and controversy; an unrealistic majority of which are undeserved. The latest in this growing collection is World of Warcraft player Erik Estavillo, who is seeking a happy fee of 1,000,000 USD. Estavillo's case concerns, in his opinion, the slow pace of the game for running and leveling up- a tact that he sees as being "deceitful" and by his obvious estimates, worthy of relieving Activision Blizzard of a six-figure salary.
"I rely on video games heavily for the little ongoing happiness I can achieve in this life"

Although Blizzard Entertainment lowered the requirements for mounts considerably in Patch 3.20.0, Estavillo argues that the default speeds available are insufficient. As cited in his lawsuit, the plaintiff argues that “to walk or run at a calculated slow pace, resulting in the player taking longer to get where he or she needs to go in the game.” In his case presented, Estavillo argues that the slow movement speeds and "high" level requirements for mounts is Blizzard tact for increasing their subscription revenue considerably.

Estavillo also cites World of Warcraft as the originator of his small list of verified health issues, (OCD, Agoraphobia, Panic Disorder, major depression and Crohn’s Disease). To back his worries, Estavillo names EverQuest victim Shawn Woolley, a suicidal addict who ended his life on November 22, 2001. “I don’t want to end up like Shawn did, as I rely on video games heavily for the little ongoing happiness I can achieve in this life,” Estavillo remarked.

Mr. Estavillo has subpeonaed Depeche Mode founder Martin Lee Gore and actress Winona Ryder to back his views on the situation and possibly pursuade the jury to favor his cause. Martin Lee Gore was subpeonaed because “he himself has been known to be sad, lonely, and alienated as can be seen in the songs he writes.” Winona Ryder, on the other hand, was recruited because she shares a passion for J.D. Salinger's novel The Catcher in the Rye. He remarked that Ryder could "explain the significance of alienation in Catcher in the Rye and will also testify to how alienation in the book can tie to alienation in real live/video games such as World of Warcraft.

A characteristic the plaintiff seems to fail to comprehend is that Blizzard brings in the same amount of income from a month of slow travel as a month of fast travel. In short, Mr. Estavillo should realize that a ton of bricks equals the same weight as a ton of feathers.

Source: GamePolitics
Caleen

Re: Man Sues Activision Blizzard

Post by Caleen » 16 Dec 2009 21:23

seriously....
Caleen lvl 90

Indra lvl 90

Cidion lvl 90
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 17 Dec 2009 00:33

I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 17 Dec 2009 10:48

I should put in one about Half-Life 2, that not having the gravity gun in the opening levels makes the game less fun.

I think he's missing the point of you starting off in rags and working your way up to being an epic hero, what an idiot.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Noolah

Post by Noolah » 17 Dec 2009 12:44

If people were sensible, he wouldn't have been able to file such a case. Nevermind make it into news.
Kristal

Post by Kristal » 17 Dec 2009 12:53

So stupid as to only be considered a joke :p
Gurf

Post by Gurf » 17 Dec 2009 13:57

Dont you wish his parents had just waited that extra second before concieving.
Would have been one less idiot on this earth :wink:
I woke up on the floor of some Japanese family's rec room, and they would NOT stop screaming.
Genetics
Die-hard

Post by Genetics » 20 Dec 2009 01:52

Is he still an idiot if he wins the case?

there have been people that won even dumber cases ...
shasokias

Post by shasokias » 20 Dec 2009 18:16

"Panic Disorder"! Is that what happens when the Router loosed connection 5 minutes before raid start :shock:

I've had that..... One million pounds compensation please :)

Oh and yes "major depression" when the trinket doesnt drop for the zillionth time :)
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 30 Dec 2009 17:28

ow right, can i get my 1 million cause ragnaros never dropped the 2h axe or 2h sword :P even tho it has a 15% drop rate :p
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.