Authenticator... Mandatory?

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Dust
The Boss

Authenticator... Mandatory?

Post by Dust » 09 Jan 2010 14:42

http://games.slashdot.org/story/10/01/0 ... ?art_pos=5

Slashdot writes that an anonymous writer writes that WoW.com writes:
"WoW.com is reporting that a trusted source has informed them that Blizzard is giving serious consideration to making authenticators mandatory on all World of Warcraft accounts. The authenticators function the same as ones provided by most banks — in order to log in, you must generate a number on the external device. Blizzard already provides a free iPhone app that functions as an authenticator. The source stated, 'it is a virtually forgone conclusion that it will happen.' This comes after large spates of compromised accounts left Bizzard game masters severely backlogged by restoration requests."
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Xureon

Re: Authenticator... Mandatory?

Post by Xureon » 09 Jan 2010 18:41

That seems unlikely... but okay, perhaps a new reason to consider quitting the game :P
It think it would be a bad move, at least for their bank account.
Dust
The Boss

Re: Authenticator... Mandatory?

Post by Dust » 09 Jan 2010 18:55

Probably not.

They invest 6€ more into each player (like a third of a monthly subscription) and give out free Authenticators, and for that they can eliminate most attempts at account compromises. That would save them a ton of support costs.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.