Latency and DPS!

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Gurf

Latency and DPS!

Post by Gurf » 11 Jan 2010 14:34

I saw on mmo-champion a link to something on wowinterface, I believe. It was for a script/code that you install and it halfs your latency.

I currently run on the 200-250 mark, which does provice the (odd) hick up in raids,
I just wondered if anyone else had this?

On that note, and not to digress from the topic,
DPS and latency are linked, obviously the quicker responce time you can have on your char, the better performace you can give - Does anyone have any links to such downloads?

I can update later with my current set up, it's minimal at best untill funds come in! (Im using basic intergrated graphics on a Dell comp thats 4 years old!) SO i can understand i wond get the best graphic display, however surely the speed of which it runs can be adjusted?
I woke up on the floor of some Japanese family's rec room, and they would NOT stop screaming.
Ixora

Re: Latency and DPS!

Post by Ixora » 11 Jan 2010 14:55

Think it was discussed also here, maybe it is even the same:
http://www.thecorewithin.net/forum/view ... =7&t=12030

I would suggest you get a new computer and you will see much more improvement than fiddling with network settings.
At least, when I did my upgrade more than a year ago, the game become a lot more nicer to play. Graphics and sound are clear and crisp; much more enjoyable. My latency did not improve, but I could definitely play a lot better just be seeing what really happens around.

I also usually have 200-250 latency, but it does not seem to me that I miss that much on DPS because of it.
In fact having below 15 FPS I noticed it gets unplayable. Luckily I rarely dive below 25 FPS with everything maxed out.

So yeah, I would advise you to get a better CPU and a real graphics card; integrated sucks.
Frozen by The Frozen Throne.
Gurf

Post by Gurf » 11 Jan 2010 15:12

Ive noticed a better performance of the odd hours of the day, ive got a better latency but same fps rate and a notable difference in dps

It was in FoS,

Run A was at around 10pm, set up and noted buffs were Pala tank, Priest healing, Human mage and NE Hunter - Dps was about 3500 overall

Run B was at around 1.30am, set up was Pala tank (same one), Drood Healer, Human warr and Gnome Mage - Dps was about 4200 overall

I know its only 700 DPS, and this was before the hotfixed changes that happened recently, this was just over a week ago.

The 1st run, there was a bit of a lag when loading up, to the point where i thought it had froze up lol.
2nd time was smooth, i keep my graphic to a minimum except for detail and ground clutter for raid purposes.

The one main i notice more, and especially on the last ToTC run i attended was the more aoe and 'flashy' spells cause the system to slow up.
Now would this be a graphical thing or lag? I mean, Graphics should be the level of display - but it should still run at the same pace as any other computer?

Its only been a recent problem, on the ICC runs its 50/50. one day it'll be fine on early trash, the next it will jitter like hell, which leads me to the concluson that it must be a latency problem over graphical thing.
I woke up on the floor of some Japanese family's rec room, and they would NOT stop screaming.
Ixora

Post by Ixora » 11 Jan 2010 16:15

The lots of flashy spells that cause your system to slow down are caused by the lack of power from the graphics card and CPU. Lag does not influence it. But it influences lag.

Think of it like this:
Your computer is trying to do two primary things at the same time
1. To display information to you (so you can react on it)
2. To send your reactions to the server (so the servers knows how you reacted)

1. is influenced by computer performance
2. is influenced by lag and your overall internet connection

Now, to keep it simple, during 1 second of game play if your computer can not really cope with #1 there's not much time for it to cope with #2 either -> fast computer helps.

The other way around if your connection is really BLEEP, having a zillion FPS does not help as the servers get your inputs only every other 1000ms or not all -> good connection helps.
Frozen by The Frozen Throne.
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 12 Jan 2010 14:56

As long as your latency is not 400+ms constantly, you are fine. Online games always expect inherent latency and seem to have it build into their encounter makeup. As a tank I usually have 100-200ms and I encounter no problems.

The noble Argent Dawn looks beyond petty issues and differences
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 12 Jan 2010 15:01

Its a little different for DPS to be fair, as a Tank I've never experienced 200/300 MS being any problem.

But as a DPS I find that the lower my latency is, the higher my DPS is.

I reckon it might just be because aslong as you as a tank got aggro, you've got aggro.

As a DPS you can always push a little more DPS.
"Otto spells Otto backwards"

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 12 Jan 2010 17:56

But as a DPS I find that the lower my latency is, the higher my DPS is.

you did notice ICC is undeath right? :lol:
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 17 Jan 2010 23:00

Whats that got to do with anything? >.<
"Otto spells Otto backwards"

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...