Diablo 3

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Dust
The Boss

Diablo 3

Post by Dust » 02 Aug 2011 14:32

Some terrible news about Diablo 3: You won't be able to play it on your own computer.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... undown.ars
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... -steps.ars

But this is interesting:
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... d-cash.ars
Sanctioned gold farming!
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Idorian
Die-hard

Re: Diablo 3

Post by Idorian » 02 Aug 2011 14:50

Saw this on another website but I still don't see why the selling ingame stuff for real money is going to ruin it for goldsellers? It will just ruin it for normal players instead. If you want to sell an items goldsellers probably will have it too and even more then you so they will sell it below your price. Result is that you won't sell you item or it will be so below value that it's not worth selling. Goldsellers will loose more money that's true but they still make money out of the game and this time in a legal way I asume. Unless I misunderstood the system :)
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 02 Aug 2011 15:22

Online required is the anti-piracy most are using these days. :roll:
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 02 Aug 2011 18:13

Because it's the hardest to circumvent. But it makes people like me not buy Diablo (if I had it preordered, I'd cancel), and instead just wait for a cracked version. Why pay for a non-working copy if I can get a working one for free?
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 03 Aug 2011 09:05

I had this problem with Bioshock. I bought the game, legit, on the day of release. I played it on my old PC, my brother played it on his, when I went to re-install it on my new pc... I get told I cant because its on too many machines already... WTF!!!

That kind of anti-piracy only makes paying customers suffer, if I downloaded the cracked copy I could install it all I like but because I paid for it Im not allowed??? Make sence... NOPE!

Assasins creed 2 required you to be online all the time and checked mid game, my friend got kicked out due to a bit of lag and thanks to console style checkpoint saves never played it again. He downloaded a cracked copy... no such problems.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 08 Aug 2011 23:18

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 08 Aug 2011 23:34

Hi!!!!!!!!

how are you doing?

ontopic: I have played a lot a lot diablo 2/ diablo 2 LoD. The changes seems good in my opinion if you want to play online, I used to play at first alone...but soon it becomes deadly boring.
What destroyed in some way diablo2, were the dupe and the bots, people farming with bots the pindlskin guy, non stop for hours...

Im looking forward the game, it looks like the changes are to avoid all they types of hacks diablo2 suffered.
About the AH, I do understand bliz, they want to make money, I hope that the money will be used as the money we pay for the montly fee of WoW, that is, to make the game "better".
I believe that they will use all the experience adquired in the development of WoW to help in the development of diablo.

Dust... I dont find you in facebook...
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 08 Aug 2011 23:36

after almost 2 years off...I still have more posts than you (Dust doenst count) :D
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 08 Aug 2011 23:39

Yeah, as if I join this privacy violating crap... :)
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 08 Aug 2011 23:44

good, you never change :), but I would like other way to keep in touch :)

Im on vacancies now, Ill lurke around for a while :)
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 09 Aug 2011 08:57

Lurking like a true rogue :D

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 09 Aug 2011 09:23

Hi gamb!

I will never ever buy a game with DRM on it again. Especially with limited installs. This mechanic costs the game developers lots of money to create and it only makes paying players' lives worse. The games become more expensive to cover the cost of DRM development and they literally force many players to say "screw this, i'm downloading".
I really wonder when developers of offline games start to see this problem, but it's most likely some decision of a money horny CEO that doesn't care about paying customers and he is probably convinced that it works against pirates. They can't be more wrong, since every single offline game can be pirated. Name one game that hasn't been cracked within a month.
Subscription based gaming like mmogs are a nice better way of making customers pay. Give them something new every now and then, build a community, they'll pay and be generally happy. For offline games, just skip the copy protection.. no one copies anymore these days. They download.
I love how you can just copy your WoW/Starcraft/Warcraft folder to another computer and it runs right away.

It's just like buying a movie. Something I refuse. I don't mind going to the cinema and pay for it whatsoever, but when I am at home I don't want to be forced to watch trailers every fricking time I put the disk in it and I definitely don't give a crap about the FBI warning.
What I want is a 1 click option to move my legally bought movie to my media center and play it from there, like a folder with avi files in a computer. Seriously, screw this anti piracy crap. You can download a very awesome quality movie in a few hours long before it gets released on DVD/bluray and you have no nagging. Why the protection if people download anyway?
Solution? Netflix? Apple? Would be nice if they would make it work in Holland! The bandwidth is there. (and of course this service should have ALL movies, not just a selection of the most recent commercial crap out there). I wouldn't mind paying 5-10 euro per movie for an easy to use system that lets me watch something in a click or 2. And of course after while streaming, it should be stored locally so I can watch it again. Offline. And copy it to my computer. Without DRM. As long as this is not the case, they will not get my money.

btw, can we ditch the BLEEP censoring? we're not 10 or American..
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 09 Aug 2011 10:13

lol, I love it...

oh and cencoring is because were a child freindly place... that and our very kind host likes to keep it clean :D

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 09 Aug 2011 10:34

MindyMcfly wrote:lol, I love it...

oh and cencoring is because were a child freindly place... that and our very kind host likes to keep it clean :D
what children? If they play WoW they have all seen worse.

There should be an option as a forum visitor to choose whether to filter these or not. Just like in WoW. I find it ridiculous that censorship is applied online in any place without the viewers agreement. There might be more people that want it unfiltered than people who want it filtered. Why does freedom of speech always lose?

If you want me to write a phpbb addon that fixes this, i'd be happy to.
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 09 Aug 2011 12:45

Tiel wrote: I find it ridiculous that censorship is applied online in any place without the viewers agreement.
Its in the T&C that everyone signed when they registered (3rd paragraph). If you don't want to abide by them then persuade Dust and the officers to move hosts.