Married. Surprise!

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Tiel
Die-hard

Married. Surprise!

Post by Tiel » 21 Dec 2011 21:12

Well, you probably didn't see this coming, but I got frickin married on November the 25th.
I married Sally whom I accidentally met on the Internet (outside of WoW, she hates it) 4 years ago. We got engaged in October 2009 and want to stay with each other.
I have always been against marriage and I still am, but I actually liked the party. We got married because her parents (and my government) would otherwise not allow her to be with me.
She is from Egypt and our wedding was a combination of Egyptian and American style. No alter with a priest and stuff; we signed our contract in the city hall and that was basically all that was required to be married, but we added a party to it. Lot's of drums, trumpets, singing and other noise. She invited 200 people and I invited 4! My parents, brother and one of his friends came to Cairo (during a time of severe demonstrations, but Tahrir Square is far away from everything since Cairo is extremely large) and we had a sweet wedding. My sister couldn't make it, and I forgot to invite Dust.. sorry..
Here is one picture to make up for it :)

We went on our honeymoon to Bali and Kuala Lumpur. Bali I can especially recommend, it's extremely lovely and very beautiful, with really nice people. We had a great time!

As you know I'm not only lately and I don't intend to be. Perhaps for a panda later on, but whenever she's with me I have no intentions to play games.
She'll be with me in Holland from Saturday until the end of March, and after that, if I have the time and will I might check in on you guys. Before that, not a chance.
We're working hard to get her a permanent visa, but bureaucratic government sh1t is a pain to conquer and not free of charge.
Dust
The Boss

Re: Married. Surprise!

Post by Dust » 21 Dec 2011 22:15

Grats I guess :) The function overloading of mariage is quite troublesome in many areas of modern life. Rules were just slapped onto it, and an originally religious tradition has become a legally binding contractual relation. But still interwoven with old traditions.

Egypt is probably not a good place to be at the moment, especially not as female, and especially not near the protests.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 21 Dec 2011 22:26

I agree.
I hate how it's mostly a religious tradition, but again, it was a necessity. Still worth it though :)

It's not so bad being in Egypt, been there many times during protests. You don't notice anything of it, as long as you're not in the city center.
Even walked on Tahrir Square once near the end of the previous demonstrations, but then it was calm.
I just don't understand how it always keeps ending in violence. If you let the protesters protest, nothing will happen. They will only repeat slogans, but no harm is done. When you counter that with violence, you (as a leadership) will only look like an aggressive dictator and it will only work against you. This logic is beyond me.
Jem
Die-hard

Post by Jem » 22 Dec 2011 02:46

Congrats! Great tux! If you don't roll a panda, you can roll a penguin :)

All the best to you two. And indeed, Bali is a wonderful place to spend a honeymoon!
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 22 Dec 2011 03:34

Fantastic news, many congratulations Tiel. I remember all the times you said you were against marriage and now look at you. Amazing how our minds can change :)

Hope you have great married lives together.

The noble Argent Dawn looks beyond petty issues and differences
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 22 Dec 2011 09:54

Big grats matey, remember talking about meeting the girl from Egypt and now look. :D

Good looking couple, wishing you all the best.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Idorian
Die-hard

Post by Idorian » 22 Dec 2011 12:43

Nice to read this. Big gratz to you and the misses :)
Jasoran
Die-hard

Post by Jasoran » 25 Dec 2011 00:29

Actually, the religious significance of marriage was something the Church had to fight long and hard for.
In Europe at least, marriage was originally a very informal Common Law affair. It only became a sacrament in the later part of the Middle Ages. Well into the 1800:s, most of the populace still thought of the betrothal as the important bit, and the church ceremony as just a formality. Priests tried to tell young people not to jump into bed as soon as they were engaged, but few listened.

This has been a public service announcement from your local historian. ;)
Gianna
Ex-boss

Post by Gianna » 02 Jan 2012 11:16

It's a trap... ;)

Grats Tiel and Missus, I wish you all the best, lots of luck and may your love endure the tests of time.
(I've been married since 1997...)

Cheers!

--G