weapon skill nerfed

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Gamberra
Die-Harder

weapon skill nerfed

Post by Gamberra » 14 Nov 2006 10:00

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 4846&sid=1
+weapon skill was changed for a few reasons. First, it was "too good" point-for-point. However, we also made some slight improvements to +weapon skill to offset the nerf in order to maintain its use as the "best" stat you can get against a target 3 levels or higher than you, but not by as wide of a margin. In addition, we didn't want +weapon skill to affect glancing blows because glancing blows (along with crushing blows) are our sacrosanct protection against players fighting mobs they're simply not supposed to be fighting.
dark_hawk

Post by dark_hawk » 14 Nov 2006 23:54

k np with that, but hunters would feel nerfd? there (afair) a bit over powerd even, i sure hoop they dont mess thing up. I realy m looking forword to BC.
Freedom, baby... is never having to say you're sorry.
Stuvvie
Die-hard

Post by Stuvvie » 15 Nov 2006 00:10

we didn't want +weapon skill to affect glancing blows because glancing blows (along with crushing blows) are our sacrosanct protection against players fighting mobs they're simply not supposed to be fighting.

This line makes no sense whatsoever, we are supposed to fight mobs that suffer glancing blows, it's called raiding :?
Nochnoy & Stuvvie

Just plays a game, for fun.
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 15 Nov 2006 08:22

correct stuvvie, they dont want you go to higher areas for better loot and exp (mobs with red number icon), but raid bosses and most mobs in a raid instance are lvl 61-63
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 15 Nov 2006 16:22

+weapon skill is totaly useless if it will give you ONLY more critt%
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Colyn
Die-Harder

Post by Colyn » 15 Nov 2006 18:21

Stuvvie wrote:we didn't want +weapon skill to affect glancing blows because glancing blows (along with crushing blows) are our sacrosanct protection against players fighting mobs they're simply not supposed to be fighting.

This line makes no sense whatsoever, we are supposed to fight mobs that suffer glancing blows, it's called raiding :?
I think it makes perfect sense actually (to me at least). Blizzard don't want players attacking (and possibly defeating) mobs that are N levels above them. Players inability to damage such mobs and the mobs ability to frequently crit/crush such players is a way of enforcing this.
Colyn | Warrior
Squirrels chase Magpies. It's true. I've seen it...
Grumthorn
Die-hard

Post by Grumthorn » 15 Nov 2006 19:00

Colyn wrote:
Stuvvie wrote:we didn't want +weapon skill to affect glancing blows because glancing blows (along with crushing blows) are our sacrosanct protection against players fighting mobs they're simply not supposed to be fighting.

I think it makes perfect sense actually (to me at least). Blizzard don't want players attacking (and possibly defeating) mobs that are N levels above them. Players inability to damage such mobs and the mobs ability to frequently crit/crush such players is a way of enforcing this.
That makes sense on an individual level. The problem as we know is that raid level mobs crush you and your blows can glance.

At the moment this can be mitigated via +weapon skill items. Current timed fights are tuned with this mitigation in mind.

If you remove the mitigation and do not re-tune the fight (blizz are on record as saying they do not intend to do so) then you end up with a situation where you are trying to do content that is tuned well above the dps level you are capable of putting out.

For example patchwerk requires you to do 4 million damage in ~7 minutes. If all your melee DPS has just suffered a ~12% DPS nerf (which is what the +weapon skill thing is roughly) then this fight becomes significantly more difficult to learn than it was a month or so ago.

I predict a tough time learning naxx from now on between this kinda dps nerf for the timed fights and the healer longevity nerf for the stamina fights.
Every man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in all mankind.
Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Jora
Ex-boss

Post by Jora » 15 Nov 2006 23:08

While that is a dps nerf, there is a general dps buff with the new talents to counter that.
And against the downranking nerf stands that +healing profits from talents now and the HoT stacking.
There are also a lot of extra or buffed group auras among the changed talents.
After all that it is hard to say what the result in total will be.
Stuvvie
Die-hard

Post by Stuvvie » 16 Nov 2006 00:49

I would agree on a solo pov (which this is obviously used for so that players can't go farm mobs 3+ levels higher on their own) still it's badly phrased then.
Nochnoy & Stuvvie

Just plays a game, for fun.
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 16 Nov 2006 08:37

I dont think it will have a considerable impact,
for patchwerk: I think it will make it easier, as usually the problems are the healing rotation, the dps will be ok, before and after the patch, at least for TCW (when the right ppl is online ;) )
Achiles
Die-Harder

Post by Achiles » 21 Nov 2006 14:39

Rogues perhaps not, but it will shag fury warriors who rely on white damage a lot. Its the sole reason most of us prefer edgemasters to the cthun gloves/FG/steadfast.

I for one noticed a large boost in my damage done, both total and DPS, when i went from 300 - 309 weapon skill.

Reason being some yellow attacks, HS mainly, are agro high. Also, correct me if i am wrong here, but the damage dealt by glancing blows diminish rage gained. Combine that with less rage per crit it overall reduces our damage ability.
"Show me where to stand, and i will move the earth"
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 21 Nov 2006 16:11

thats true and thats were i was affraid of, also blizz cant make +skill to only give more critt rate, wouldnt make sence to even have +skill in the game then or am i seeying thing wrong ?

anyway if we are not usefull as DPS in BC i gonna be so disapointed :(
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Knetter
Die-Harder

Post by Knetter » 21 Nov 2006 16:30

Esoteric wrote:thats true and thats were i was affraid of, also blizz cant make +skill to only give more critt rate, wouldnt make sence to even have +skill in the game then or am i seeying thing wrong ?

anyway if we are not usefull as DPS in BC i gonna be so disapointed :(
+skill does not use the use it has against lower or equal level opponents, only the part against higher level opponents gets nerfed. Also, the +hit, -dodge, etc-parts of your weapon skill still influence your DPS.
Knetter, Tiny Tank Emeritus

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"
Achiles
Die-Harder

Post by Achiles » 21 Nov 2006 16:48

Yes...but already we get glancingf blows on Lucifron etc...that will onlt get worse in BC...after all, name me one raid boss that is equi-level to us.
"Show me where to stand, and i will move the earth"
Knetter
Die-Harder

Post by Knetter » 21 Nov 2006 17:09

Yes, it is a nerf, but it does not make weapon skill useless, as Eso thought it does.
Knetter, Tiny Tank Emeritus

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"