China gamers have a bone to pick over skeletons

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Idorian
Die-hard

China gamers have a bone to pick over skeletons

Post by Idorian » 10 Jul 2007 16:12

check it out here

don't they have anything else to do then this?
Jinxo

Post by Jinxo » 11 Jul 2007 09:19

I have a mental image of Aphro with a placard marching around Tianimun Square. :D

Believe Aphro went to China anyway
Rakmar

Post by Rakmar » 11 Jul 2007 12:56

Wonder how they do it when they wanna kill Nef (with all the skellies spawning in the end). Weird though that they did this. I mean, you have talking cows, aliens that look like devils, walking undead and leprechauns to play with, so why change one little silly thing as skeletons in game. :?
Rakmar - Lvl 60 Night Elf Hunter

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti täde, keimetha tois keinon rhämasi peithomenoi
Grumthorn
Die-hard

Post by Grumthorn » 11 Jul 2007 13:23

Rakmar wrote:Wonder how they do it when they wanna kill Nef (with all the skellies spawning in the end). Weird though that they did this. I mean, you have talking cows, aliens that look like devils, walking undead and leprechauns to play with, so why change one little silly thing as skeletons in game. :?
I remember this bruhaha from my MtG days. Basically there's a fairly strong cultural taboo about depictions of skeletons in chinese society, couple this with the kind of government that likes legislating morality and you get the current situation.

As a thought experiment consider how you would feel about swastikas (its only a few lines), burning crosses (it's only a couple of bits of wood on fire) or other such symbols appearing repeatedly in WoW. Chances are that you would find them jarring and unpleasant and if you lived in Germany or Austria would find that your government probably didn't want you seeing them (I think these countries have bans on such symbols, open to correction).
Every man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in all mankind.
Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Grumthorn
Die-hard

Post by Grumthorn » 11 Jul 2007 13:25

Rakmar wrote: leprechauns
congrats on spelling this correctly :) I've seen and heard it murdered a thousand times.
Every man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in all mankind.
Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
Rakmar

Post by Rakmar » 11 Jul 2007 18:47

Grumthorn wrote:
Rakmar wrote:Wonder how they do it when they wanna kill Nef (with all the skellies spawning in the end). Weird though that they did this. I mean, you have talking cows, aliens that look like devils, walking undead and leprechauns to play with, so why change one little silly thing as skeletons in game. :?
I remember this bruhaha from my MtG days. Basically there's a fairly strong cultural taboo about depictions of skeletons in chinese society, couple this with the kind of government that likes legislating morality and you get the current situation.

As a thought experiment consider how you would feel about swastikas (its only a few lines), burning crosses (it's only a couple of bits of wood on fire) or other such symbols appearing repeatedly in WoW. Chances are that you would find them jarring and unpleasant and if you lived in Germany or Austria would find that your government probably didn't want you seeing them (I think these countries have bans on such symbols, open to correction).
Aye, guess that makes sense. And yeah, it's banned in Austria and Germany. But I guess it all differs from the way the symbol is portrayed. A swastika can still be shown in Germany if it's in a religious sense (as it's a buddhist symbol aswell).
Grumthorn wrote:
Rakmar wrote: leprechauns
congrats on spelling this correctly :) I've seen and heard it murdered a thousand times.
Why thank you. But I'm sure I've made several other typos on easier words :oops:
Rakmar - Lvl 60 Night Elf Hunter

O xein', angellein Lakedaimoniois hoti täde, keimetha tois keinon rhämasi peithomenoi
Damocles

Post by Damocles » 11 Jul 2007 18:57

I always thought the German Swastika was the reverse of the religious symbol although most poeople wouldnt notice that in passing of course.