Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Tiel
Die-hard

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

Post by Tiel » 04 Apr 2011 10:49

The breeder reactor here uses 20% enriched Uranium, which is quite low. It used to be about 80% but since that could potentially be used for nuclear bombs it is no longer allowed to have such materials stored in a country.

True that the tidal energy is easily destroyed, but there are plenty of materials that don't rust and can withstand a lot before they have to be replaced. They are testing very large reactors at the moment that are about 12 meters long, they are robust and can produce a lot of power.
Wind energy is very popular here, but there are thousands of them in the country and even a park in the sea and therefor here too people complain. In my opinion, if you use a frickin 42" TV and you want to power it, don't complain about how the power gets there. If you have a better solution than ugly wind mills, go ahead. Build expensive solar panels on your entire roof, but stop complaining if the country runs out of power for you bigass TV if you don't.
A new sea park in Holland should produce 6000Mw by 2020. That is 6% of the total requirement. The current one is just over 100Mw.
Dust
The Boss

Re: Tsunami hits Japan after massive quake

Post by Dust » 16 May 2011 21:27

http://arstechnica.com/science/news/201 ... ve-too.ars

Seems the reactor cores have melted shortly after the tsunami, and cleaning up the mess will take ages. In other news, the evacuation area has once again been extended: http://slashdot.org/story/11/05/15/1472 ... -Fukushima
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.