DEA Judical Review

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

DEA Judical Review

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Mar 2011 13:58

http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/201 ... view-day-2

The UK's Digital Economy Act gets its day in court, the hackers must be wetting themselves laughing.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
shiftnshape

Re: DEA Judical Review

Post by shiftnshape » 25 Mar 2011 14:44

Oh im scared look at me im shacking.......... dumb idiots I can find most thing i need on the internet and theres not a thing they can do to find me or stop me dont get me wrong if i like a film i get the DVD but im gonna watch it first and them decide theres no way im gonna go and rent one for £6-£7 when it only cost £9 to buy so if i want it im gona get the free one first.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 25 Mar 2011 14:46

MindyMcfly wrote:http://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/201 ... view-day-2

The UK's Digital Economy Act gets its day in court, the hackers must be wetting themselves laughing.
tldr

summary? :)
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Mar 2011 15:20

A freind of mine started up a business doing building pre-viz and couldnt afford the software so his only choice was download. Now the business is going well and he's bought a licence.

I like the way they seem to think that stopping piracy will increase revenue, I cant see that to be honest.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 25 Mar 2011 15:59

MindyMcfly wrote:A freind of mine started up a business doing building pre-viz and couldnt afford the software so his only choice was download. Now the business is going well and he's bought a licence.

I like the way they seem to think that stopping piracy will increase revenue, I cant see that to be honest.
I agree, even as a software writer myself :)

However, technically software is, just like any other form of property, something that you should buy in the first place. You can't download your computer or office furniture, so if you can't afford that the only thing you can do is get a loan or pay in terms (which are basically the same).
In software the only difference is that the author doesn't lose anything from his supply room, but he loses income, which he can use sooner rather than later to make more products or to improve them.
Ethically I couldn't care less about stealing from BLEEP corporations like Microsoft or Apple.
In many cases there are open source alternatives to the programs you want to use, and you can pay later in the form of a donation; completely legal.
And in the case of WoW.. can't really play that without paying :) As a result they make waaaay too much money.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Mar 2011 16:37

In his case it was £3000 + for 3d max and a further £1000 for rendering software. He now bought the software but without "borrowing" them at the start he wouldn't have been able to continue.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 25 Mar 2011 17:21

MindyMcfly wrote:In his case it was £3000 + for 3d max and a further £1000 for rendering software. He now bought the software but without "borrowing" them at the start he wouldn't have been able to continue.
Gotta agree with the decision, unfortunately the fracked up law has no space for exceptions and goodwill..
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Mar 2011 17:32

Same as movies, costs as much to watch a film in the cinema as it would to own in on dvd/blu-ray a few months later. So people download them, if they like it they often buy it for the extras.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 25 Mar 2011 18:44

MindyMcfly wrote:Same as movies, costs as much to watch a film in the cinema as it would to own in on dvd/blu-ray a few months later. So people download them, if they like it they often buy it for the extras.
this is what i do most of the time its £10 to goto the cinema here and i can get the dvd for less
celestial

Post by celestial » 25 Mar 2011 19:52

I got a lot of games which I downloaded from usenet. All of them are big names so I don't feel the least bit guilty of 'robbing' a major game developer like EA or whatever. Besides, I wouldn't have bought the game anyway and this way I get to play it and maybe recommend it to friends :p
If you say plz because it's shorter than please, I will say no because it's shorter than yes.
Gianna
Ex-boss

Post by Gianna » 26 Mar 2011 06:39

In his case it was £3000 + for 3d max and a further £1000 for rendering software. He now bought the software but without "borrowing" them at the start he wouldn't have been able to continue.
He might have been able to solve his problems using free open source software instead - that way he would probably still be using it without having to buy an expensive commercial package.
I got a lot of games which I downloaded from usenet. All of them are big names so I don't feel the least bit guilty of 'robbing' a major game developer like EA or whatever. Besides, I wouldn't have bought the game anyway and this way I get to play it and maybe recommend it to friends :p
Friends that will then also download instead of buy. :)
I've had my share of downloads too, I am no angel there, but I also buy the games I like (even after playthrough). I believe in "try before you buy" when it comes to software.

--G
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 26 Mar 2011 12:40

A good example is, no demo for Gears of War, I dont own and xbox and was suckered in by the graphics. I bought it but sure wished I hadnt :wink:

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 26 Mar 2011 16:29

Maybe software should be a "1 year trial" or something. Usually its a month, and that's kinda short to get a business going.