Hello Bello

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Gyon
Die-hard

Hello Bello

Post by Gyon » 08 Jul 2011 11:25

Hello Guys :)

I hope you are all well. As some of you know or noticed I left wow. children have taken over my time and computer too! I actually have to ask for permission from my 7year old to let me on! its bad I know! my company moved to central london location so spend more time travelling now.
I do have a good news too though!I got approached from work to a position of Release configuration analyst/TFS administrator and some project management, and got accepted for the role. Its quite a big jump for me, so I have to start learning :P I have been told I should look into basic coding. any suggestion where I should start looking into it? mind you I am a beginner so any suggestion of websites/tutorials/book would be most welcomed.
I hope whoever still plays still having fun! I have left but you are not forgotten. I will be back when I can! muahhahha

loves

(feel free to pm me)

Gyon
Tiel
Die-hard

Re: Hello Bello

Post by Tiel » 08 Jul 2011 11:43

Cello Gy!

Good to know you're still alive, of course the guild and realm isn't the same without you.
So what kind of coding should you look in to? We're talking programming languages here, right?
Is it just basic understanding of how coding works and how the languages interpret everything or do you have to actually be able to write something in a specific language? If so, which one?
For TFS, I would think it's a good start to get some knowledge of SQL. The language is used to talk to databases and teaches you how data is stored, read and altered. Lots of tutorials on that on Google.
Lemme know, I'm always able to answer questions about computer stuff, although my specialty lies in web: php/mysql/html/css/javascript and the lot.
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 08 Jul 2011 12:33

Hi Gyon thats some good news for you there nice to see you again. There are so many books out there to chose from, I think Dust would be the best one to speak to about ware to start with programing.
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 08 Jul 2011 14:02

yay I knew I can count on you lot lol

I have just asked it Csharp they use here.

TFS I got the book and read it, I have no problem with it. I just want to understand coding, how programming works on a basic level. like the commands and how you write basic stuff..
http://home.cmit.net/rwolbeck/programmingtutorial/
found this so far..any good?

Thanks a lot!
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 08 Jul 2011 16:15

Well, you can't really compare C# to good old basic :) C# is an object oriented language which can look almost exactly like Java.
If you have to write code in C# then you are probably well off reading a very good fat book about it, but if you need a basic understanding of how programs 'think' then yeah, start with BASIC :) Visual Basic .net maybe? or an older version?
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 08 Jul 2011 18:15

Grats! :)

I am not sure if I can give a lot of tips on learning how to program, since I did that a bit weird. (I started with writing a prime number generator program in a scripting language...) C# isn't a terrible language. It is in many ways similar to Java, and C++ with which I work mainly.

From a formal standpoint it is good to know the basics of programming first: Algorithms and Data Structures. Knowing that shapes thinking about imperative programming, and even different paradigmas depending on the algorithms you learn. But that's probably not the easiest way, since you won't learn any actual coding.

The way I learn nowadays is by reading the reference manual and example code, to adapt to patterns. But using a tutorial is likely faster if you're new to programming.

What you have to decide on first is if you want to learn Programming, or C#. If you want to learn programming, the language doesn't matter that much, as long as it has the basic constructs of the paradigma you want to work in. The programming tutorial link you gave doesn't look useful though, past the first hello world. :/
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 09 Jul 2011 23:07

Don't start with Basic, it'll teach you some horrific habits. If your end goal is C# start with C or Java. You can see which languages 'descend' from which here (its a bit out of date, missing things like ruby):

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/pos ... ongues.jpg

Basic and C/Java share very little in common in terms of grammar although some of the constructs are similar.

I started out with Pascal at school and from there moved into Delphi (in work also), these days when I get to program I use php (and all other associated web bits). Unfortunately php has made me a very lazy programmer but in the end I don't get to program much :)
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 10 Jul 2011 01:28

Nice graph! Ruby is there though, 1993.

I myself started about 15 years ago with GWbasic, then moved to Turbo Pascal 7. With the rise of Internet i mainly focused on html, then php/mysql and added javascript to that. In the last 7 years I stuck to web and haven't really learned anything new. PHP might actually not be such a bad language to learn, it's easy and very tolerant.
Jem
Die-hard

Post by Jem » 10 Jul 2011 01:30

My suggestion for a good start is Processing (www.processing.org).
It was a system designed for artists, but essentially is a full blown Java system that you can run natively on Android.
Basically you can play around with algorithms and data and when you want, go far deeper down the rabbithole...
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 10 Jul 2011 09:18

Yeah, I heard about processing, a Coworker recommended it and said it'd be intended for non-programmers. The description on their homepage looks good.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 11 Jul 2011 19:06

thank you guys! Getting the book of absolute beginner C from Greg Perry. just to understand basics then also getting one to ones from my team leader to be to fill out the missing bits :) I will mainly be doing TFS admin, but will want me to help out of quick fixing things like adding an extra coloumn and such, also helping out on releasing softwares and such. I am well lucky to have such opportunity at work!
will be around to ask more questions as time goes :)
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 11 Jul 2011 20:05

C is a very low level language, it's at the base of most current operating systems, so your time will not be wasted, but it is also not an easy language to start with since it requires understanding of raw pointers, memory management and since it is a compiled language. But good luck! :)
Idorian
Die-hard

Post by Idorian » 12 Jul 2011 10:30

/wave ;-)