Copying Games is better than paying for them

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Dust
The Boss

Copying Games is better than paying for them

Post by Dust » 19 Aug 2011 18:47

Once again: http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2011 ... tinues.ars

If you buy the game, you can't play it. If you just copy it you can. Why again should we pay for those pieces of drm infested piles of non-working garbage when we can just torrent a much better version?
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Tiel
Die-hard

Re: Copying Games is better than paying for them

Post by Tiel » 21 Aug 2011 02:37

I will never understand.. must be money hungry CEO's making the decisions, not thinking about the effect it has.
Dumb, but they will find out one day!

Every game that can be played offline can be cracked. So why bother with complicated and expensive DRM since it will appear on torrent sites anyway?
If a game is good, it will get sold.
Unreal Tournament from '99 is a good example. No copy protection whatsoever, yet a huge success.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 23 Aug 2011 08:48

I bought 'From Dust' via steam, it requires an always on internet connection, it was a pain in the arse because I had to make a Ubisoft account and because its checking a server its painfully slow to load.

My mate downloaded it via torrent, its cracked, works fine, no signing up, no slow accessing and if Ubisoft go bust, it will still work.

DRM only hurts paying customers!
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 23 Aug 2011 08:54

I hope evil companies like Ubisoft go bankrupt because of this. Even though they make some nice games, we can do without them.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 23 Aug 2011 09:08

Take Bioshock as an example, I bought it, installed it. I then lent it my brother who installed and played it. I then built a new machine, installed it and played it again but this time got a warning that this was the last time I would be able to install it, ever.

Hold on a minute, I bought it, if I go on a torrent site I can download it and install it as many times as I like, why punish the person who actually paid for it.

When are they going to realise that DRM doesnt work!!!
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 23 Aug 2011 09:32

When people who love to pay money for a game stop paying.
Like you.
Stop paying! You have every right.
Basically, when you pay for something, it's yours. You have every right to use it anywhere you go. When the manufacturer of that 'product' makes sure you cannot do that, you have every right (even by law if you ask me) to get your money fully refunded or get a replacement product that does not have this malfunction.
Something when the law doesn't help, you gotta take it into your own hands and download every DRM based game out there :) Show them who they are screwing with! (or just ignore them completely)
I stopped paying for movies and games a long time ago.
I used to rent VHS video's almost every week when i was young, but after a few DVD's with all the non-forwardable bullcrap you get I refused to every pay money for it again. And then always-on fast internet came. And movies came out on there even before you could buy/rent them. A win-win for me!
What a relief! And now they call me a criminal? Who are the criminals here? If they can't find a suitable business model for this era then they don't have the right to exist.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 23 Aug 2011 09:44