Toddler Accident in China

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Virocana

Toddler Accident in China

Post by Virocana » 19 Oct 2011 12:17

No idea if you've heard of this over there, but currently there's quite an outrage over this news here in Indo. I personally feel this is really sickening.

*Disclaimer: Do not watch the video if you're not strong enough to see the scenes.

A Chinese motorist knocked over a 2-year-old toddler and then driving over her and off, in Foshan City in Guangdong province, early evening on October 13th. She was ignored by multiple passers-by (18, according to police reports) who - though witnessing the atrocious scene - merely walk around the writhing infant (the kindliest drags the child off the road and then abandons her as mere roadkill), and most atrocious of all is a subsequent passing-by truck which deliberately crushed her legs to a pulp.

The girl later died from her injuries. Police have apparently since arrested the drivers of both vehicles.

While I don't understand Chinese, you can see in the video what is undoubtedly highly disturbing to all people of conscience (and even to many of those without):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVvmT9SKgrQ
Dust
The Boss

Re: Toddler Accident in China

Post by Dust » 19 Oct 2011 12:27

I don't want to watch it, but there is the question of what happened to that child's parents, why did they let a 2 year old stand around on or near a street? Even though it's clear that such a young child does not have the experience or knowledge to know the traffic rules.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Jem
Die-hard

Post by Jem » 19 Oct 2011 14:05

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blo ... _blog.html

Some more information especially regarding the confusion about her status (if she is dead or stable).

The reporting on this mostly is focussing on if there is a cultural aspect of what happened, i.e. if China or the Chinese people are or have become heartless.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 19 Oct 2011 16:20

I read somewhere that she died in the hospital.

I don't see why we should care. The culture there is totally different. Things like that happen there because "in general" there is a much lower safety structure in the entire country.

No one would ever care about 1 incident in Egypt where 50x more people die in traffic than in any other country.
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 21 Oct 2011 00:04

I saw the vid last week how people can just walk past is beyond me. Nop idea what the child was doing alone on the street in the first place ware are the parents the mother and child walking past was just unreal if you ask me. I also read that an old woman got hit by a car and when a man helped her she said it was him that did it and he got arested and everything not surprising then that if you help someone you get acused of allsorts.
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 21 Oct 2011 14:06

I have been following this and sadly the child has now died the hospital officials confirmed.
I know for a fact I could not stand by and do nothing, especially for a child. What has happened is completely inhumane and the Chinese seriously need to do some soul searching.

The noble Argent Dawn looks beyond petty issues and differences
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 21 Oct 2011 15:56

Fangfury wrote:I have been following this and sadly the child has now died the hospital officials confirmed.
I know for a fact I could not stand by and do nothing, especially for a child. What has happened is completely inhumane and the Chinese seriously need to do some soul searching.
You can't just say that about a different culture. It's a very selfish remark. If their life standards are different there then they have to figure that out and fix it themselves.
Accidents like these could just as well happen in Europe. And guess what, they did! Just not everything is caught on camera and put on liveleak.
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 21 Oct 2011 19:06

To be honest, anyone in the whole World that could even imagine not helping some injured child is in need of some serious soul searching.

So apologies to any Chinese readers if my previous comment offended, but your own news and microblogs seem to be saying the same sort of thing.

Jem
Die-hard

Post by Jem » 22 Oct 2011 13:29

It is causing big waves to the top...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/banyan/2011/10/china
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 24 Oct 2011 10:54

Cant watch it, anything bad happening with kids makes me sick to the core.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 24 Oct 2011 11:39

MindyMcfly wrote:Cant watch it, anything bad happening with kids makes me sick to the core.
I also have not been able to watch it. Reading about it is harrowing enough. It's a terrible thing that happened.

MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 24 Oct 2011 11:57

Weird though as I could watch the Gaddafi footage.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 24 Oct 2011 13:41

The detail on the vid is very low, so there isn't anything you can see anyway.

In other news: An earthquake killed hundreds of people in Turkey. Are we gonna blame the Turkish government now for being too slacking when building proper buildings that could withstand an earthquake in a country that has one almost every 3 years?

Seriously, it's just 1 fricking kid.
There are millions of people dying for all kinds of horrible governmental/moral-polluted reasons.
The selfishness and dumbness of people in general is the biggest killer. The morality issue over the death of 1 kid is over magnified and totally irrelevant when you look at the bigger picture than the picture you're trying to portray here. People vote for assholes like Bush who is one of the biggest war criminals ever. Other people only care about money and make billions over the lives of poor people who might even starve to death. People who kill others in the name of religion, be it Islam or Christianity, it's still ignored. Throughout history hundreds of millions of people were killed for this reason. And it's still happening. And we start wining about 1 unlucky kid?

It's always the cases with only 1 or a few casualties that make the news.

I despise this narrow mindedness.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 24 Oct 2011 18:02

It's a matter of emotional attachment.

As for earthquakes: It is the responsibility of the government to make good rules, but even if there are no rules, building an insecure House is stupid. Why do people do it? Maybe because they build houses for other people and not themselves and can make more money that way? Or because they underestimate the risk? Or maybe the risk was just worth it?
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 24 Oct 2011 18:23

Tiel wrote:Seriously, it's just 1 fricking kid....
So the fact that its just 1 makes it okay? Soon as I saw this comment all I have been doing is shaking my head.

@Dust you should lock this thread before I do it myself.