SOPA

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Re: SOPA

Post by MindyMcfly » 18 Jan 2012 13:28

----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 18 Jan 2012 22:22

I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Jan 2012 09:52

Looks like World War 3 will be fought in cyber space:-

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -laws.html

http://tech.pnosker.com/2012/01/19/mega ... of-piracy/
Michael Convente wrote:It will be interesting to see how this case plays out, especially with digital piracy currently being debated in the public so prominently. The conspiracy charges are quite troublesome, but it’s possible this case could end up like the Supreme Court case from the 1980s in regard to home VCRs. In that case, the Supreme Court ruled that using VCRs to record television shows for viewing at a later time constituted “fair use” under copyright law, even though the devices could be used to mass distribute recorded copies of shows. If Megaupload can prove that its hosting and file transfer services fall under the “fair use” provision, these charges could have no merit. However, if Megaupload is proven to be primarily a distribution network for copyrighted material, it’s very likely that we have seen the last of this company.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Jan 2012 16:52

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a3 ... video.html

Universal Music Group throwing out their dummy?

'Anonymous' looks set to be on the warpath now :?

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Jan 2012 17:18

http://www.pcworld.com/article/248461/w ... orage.html

The USA have gone mental with power!

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 20 Jan 2012 17:58

Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 20 Jan 2012 20:18

Until it gets rezzed in a different name :/
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 20 Jan 2012 22:05

This really looks like the biggest full blown cyber war ever.
I'm surely having fun watching it all happen!
This MegaUpload thing makes you wonder about cloud storage indeed. It's stupid to trust it in the first place, but now you see what can be done to your data. Even a big one like MegaUpload can be downed without warning. They might as well drop Dropbox too. Heck, many people even accuse Google of the same things, what's stopping them from shutting down a random Google data center? These feds obviously have no clue what they are doing, and they don't give a crap about the users that use the services for legal purposes.

Maybe those feds are just following orders from higher up, but there is something seriously wrong with that "following orders" thing too. Maybe it made the US big, but it also made them assholes. Following orders is something you should do when you can't think for yourself. But it's nothing new that Americans can't do that anyway.

I'm doing all I can, I'll sign every petition, bring awareness to the public, post everything to my Facebook, talk to every colleague about it. I just hope people start realizing how screwed up this driven by greed world is. It's not just banks. It's everything that has anything to do with lots of money.

V for Vendetta indeed. Governments are showing more and more how evil and influentiable by lobbyists they are.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 20 Jan 2012 23:40

I support http://freenetproject.org/, the network for people who are paranoid or have something to hide :) (And it's slow as snails too)
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 21 Jan 2012 23:21

Dust wrote:I support http://freenetproject.org/, the network for people who are paranoid or have something to hide :) (And it's slow as snails too)
Isn't that something like Tor?

I have nothing to hide myself, but I seriously dislike the fact the fact that peoples information isn't private anymore by default.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 22 Jan 2012 11:42

No, Tor is an anonymizing mixmaster network, you can access internet resources (mostly web pages) without the people who spy on you knowing what you do, without the start of the network knowing what you do, without the end of the network knowing who you are, and without the site you talk to knowing who you are. There were a few very good talks about Tor at the 28C3, I posted links before.

Freenetproject is something quite different, it's a distributed P2P storage network. You can not only receive data from the network without it knowing what you do or who you are, you can also insert data the same way. For example there are people who insert html pages into freenet, which others then can download and view in their web browsers via fproxy. Or there are programs who use freenet as transport layer for newsgroup like systems or web forum like systems. You can not access anything outside freenet.

Tor tries to help people like in China or Turkey, or all the other net censoring states to access the uncensored web, freenet tries to help everyone to hide what he's doing, even if what they do is a problem everywhere.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 26 Jan 2012 10:52

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")