Show me your Moustaches!

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Yima

Show me your Moustaches!

Post by Yima » 14 Nov 2012 23:06

Movember!

Tiel
Die-hard

Re: Show me your Moustaches!

Post by Tiel » 15 Nov 2012 09:21

Sorta looks like Tintins rocket! Why are you censored? Are your eyes offensive?

Anyway, I'm not gonna make myself look like an idiot just because it makes people "aware" that there is a problem. Everybody already knows that problem exist and an overdose of facial hair isn't gonna make cancer disappear.

I might as well shave my head bald to make people aware that there's a fricking robot driving around on Mars.
Yima

Post by Yima » 15 Nov 2012 10:38

I am censored because i dont want Dust to know, how i look like ;)

But... You look like an idiot when u grow yourself a beard???

Well if you shave your head, make a picture pls ;)
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 20 Nov 2012 14:34

Nothing wrong with a beard in general, but a mustache just because it's "movember" I find truly ridiculous
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Nov 2012 15:28

Its a world wide cancer charity event to help fund research into prostate cancer, a worthy cause Im sure you'll agree.

Its also a bit of fun. :D
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Nov 2012 15:50

Dust's Movember.

:shock:

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Yima

Post by Yima » 20 Nov 2012 16:56

LOOOOOOOOOOOL
Ballrazor

Post by Ballrazor » 20 Nov 2012 17:14

Tiel wrote:just because it makes people "aware" that there is a problem.
Common misconception there. Movember aims to raise awareness and funds for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and testicular cancer.

With many of those taking part getting sponsorship, within the UK it is then donated to Prostate Cancer UK, The Institute of Cancer Research and Movember Foundation.

Last year it raised £79.3 million world wide.

Worth while reason for looking like an idiot for a bit, good work Yima.

Next year when puberty kicks in that thing will look beastly :p
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 20 Nov 2012 17:24

Next year when puberty kicks in that thing will look beastly :p
Ouch, bi@tch claws ladies. lol :lol:

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 21 Nov 2012 11:18

I have nothing against fund raisers, but this is like seeing attention hungry guys walk around with a mustache saying "Look at me, look at me, I'm making you aware to start donating money for charity! Look what a good person I am!"
I think it's a ridiculous way, also because facial hair has nothing to do with cancer. I think it's pushy and annoying.
Awareness and donations should go on non stop. Not just in november and not because of stupid mustaches.
And why men's cancer? There are so many even more lethal diseases and other problems in the world that need this money just as much, or more.

I really don't get it.
Ballrazor

Post by Ballrazor » 21 Nov 2012 20:37

Why moustaches? Why red noses for comic relief? Why pink ribbons for breast cancer? Why daffodils? teddies with an eye patches? Why not? Who cares, it raises money for charity.

Beards and moustaches have always been seen as a symbol of manhood. So its a good symbol for the charity. It certainly beats having a picture of a big set of balls as their logo. It obviously works as Yima posted his pic with only the word Movember in his post and you knew what it was about. If it can be instantly reconised and associated, it works.

The public drive for donations may mainly be in november but they accept and raise money all the time. The awarness and benefits of such go on all year but It would cost a fortune to keep the level of publicity up all year round that its at in November and that money can be better spent.

Saying there is are more lethal diseases that need the money more is, to be honest, a little offensive. Especially to someone who has lost a family member and a friend to prostate cancer in the last year. There are other charities with other drives and you are entitled to give to whomever you want in the end, but its not fair to put down other charities that do good works regardless of how you see it.

It's raising the awareness and dispelling the taboo of prostate cancer hopefully stopping men from ignoring the problem and it ultimately costing them their lives. Prostate cancer is the leading cancer in young men between the ages of 15-35 and has very high survivability rate if detected early but thats were most of the problems arise. Embarressment, lack of education on the subject but also a lack of medical support for it too. I suggest having a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prostate_c ... nd_culture for more detailed figures.

Other charities have their periods of focused drives and this one is just as entitled to have one to.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 22 Nov 2012 10:12

Having lost three close friends in two years to cancer, I dont think any fund raising techniques are bad. If me looking like a muppet for a month saves or prolongs one life Im happy.

Dont over analize it, its just for fun x :mrgreen:

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Yima

Post by Yima » 22 Nov 2012 11:02

Mindy got it :)