Gwyllion - The Edge of All I Know

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Xureon

Gwyllion - The Edge of All I Know

Post by Xureon » 17 Feb 2009 16:39

Greetings everyone!

If you're in a hurry, just skip to Latest News :)

I don't really know why I haven't done this before, but here I go then :)
I'm in a band called Gwyllion. I play keyboards and do backing vocals along with one of the guitar players. Apart from those, there's a (female) singer, a second guitar, bass guitar and drums. We make some awesome music, are famous around the world and have sold millions of albums. Well, except for those last two things.
Nevertheless it is still getting pretty big so I decided it's worth telling a little about it :) it's also the reason I haven't been able to raid on any wednesdays this year because of vocal rehearsals :P

A Bit of History:

We released our first real album in 2007: Awakening the Dream. Got awesome reviews (ranging from 81/100 to 9/10), and started recording another album at the start of 2008. On this one, we decided not to settle for anything but the best - so we contacted the best producer in our genre: Jens Bogren at Fascination Street Studios in Sweden, who has worked for bands like Opeth, Paradise Lost, Symphony X, Katatonia, Pain of Salvation, Soilwork, Amon Amarth, Hammerfall, ... and the list goes on. You may not know any of those bands but they are still some of the most well known in the genre :)
That's as far as sound goes - for the artwork of our album, we contacted Monument Studios, which may have some better known clients: Nine Inch Nails, Rage Against the Machine, Disturbed, Slayer, Led Zeppelin, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Paul McCartney, Korn, Van Halen, Black Sabbath,... and even some 'non-band' organisations like Coca Cola, Harley Davidson, Ford and Samsung. Still can hardly believe THOSE guys made our album artwork :mrgreen:

Once that was all completed - recorded at our own studio in Belgium, mixed/mastered/produced by Jens Bogren in Sweden (two of us stayed over there for a week) and artwork in Canada and Denmark (if I'm not mistaken) - we had the complete package and started looking for labels. That was sort of the point - create the best we could, and then see whether we can get a label; if we couldn't, it really would have to be a confirmation that all you need is luck, not quality.

Well, we now have a label in Europe (Black Bards Entertainment) and Japan (Rubicon Music), and an American label (Sonic Cathedral) has put us on a Compilation cd (A World of Sirens) with an older song (from the 2007 album). We don't have a deal to relase our latest album there yet though.

That's what we knew around New Year. Here's the news since then:

Latest News:
  • We were offered a European tour, organised by Napalm Records, taking place around Easter this year with two larger bands :o
  • Our singer left the band :( (because we accepted the offer and she didn't want that)
  • The tour was moved to Fall this year :| (no details yet)
  • We found a new singer :D
  • Our new website is online since a few days (our drummer made it, except for database related things which I made)
  • Our new album 'The Edge of All I Know' is to be released in Belgium on March 6th and in the rest of Europe April 3rd, by Black Bards Entertainment (German label). It will also be released in Japan, probably around April 3rd too, think we still need confirmation on that.
  • The T-Shirt designs are now also on the website, they can be pre-ordered just like the album (with the order form that I so excellently made). If you do, you'll likely get it a lot earlier than the 'European' release date since we intend to send them for the Belgian one :) (if we're allowed anyway)
Here's the album cover:
Damn that looks huge, it's actually bigger than the actual CD I'm holding here.
Eh, and, weird, the logo is actually on a different place on the CD :)

Anyway -
since images are fun, here are some more: the tshirts (which include some of the artwork from inside the album booklet, adapted to the tshirts by our drummer). The full images are pretty big so I posted the small versions, you'll be taken to the page with larger versions by clicking on them :)
They're in order: the Tshirt, the Hoodie (back) and the Girlie.

ImageImageImage

So that's the artwork - amazing, I agree - the music isn't completely freely available of course,... but there's a compilation of the new songs, as well as three full songs from the previous CD (not as well produced though...) available on these pages:

Free music: :)
http://www.gwyllion.com/music.php
http://www.myspace.com/gwyllionmetal

I know this post is a little chaotic. But the images make up for it, no? :mrgreen:
And then now you may all proceed to pre-order the album and T-shirts on the website :P

Sygmoral
Cyberia
Site Admin

Re: Gwyllion - The Edge of All I Know

Post by Cyberia » 17 Feb 2009 17:08

The music isn't my cup of tea .... but I hope you do well :)
Neferata

Post by Neferata » 17 Feb 2009 17:17

Does ur music involve a lot of shouting ? :D

Ur artwork looks really nice btw.
Nihari

Post by Nihari » 17 Feb 2009 17:26

I would buy if I had money./cry

Keep up the good work mate.:)

Edit:forgot a word :P
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 17 Feb 2009 18:37

Although its not my kind of music; I do like it a lot:)
Well done!
Sheismysin

Post by Sheismysin » 18 Feb 2009 17:37

U have some Rly awsome songs , me like it :)))
Gogogo on top ^^
Xureon

Post by Xureon » 19 Feb 2009 01:43

Thanks for the comments :)

I do realise it isn't for everyone of course, most of it is quite different from what's usually on the radio at least :) there's at least two tracks on the new album though that are more accessible to anyone though - "Beyond Goodbye" and "Angelheart", they are much softer than the rest and could make it to the radio - unfortunately I can't just paste them here or something... :)
Neferata wrote:Does ur music involve a lot of shouting ? :D
Not really no :)

Actually when I first saw the design on that first tshirt (in the booklet version), I though it looked too aggressive. Then again, it was made to accompany the lyrics for a song titled "Rage"... so I suppose it fits... :)
The music isn't really 'rough' or anything, even though it's got a lot more energy than our previous album.

Xureon
(cool I saw I signed with 'Sygmoral' in my start post, heh :P that's my usual internet nick, but "Sygmoral" is a fire mage / elementalist from origin (not WoW) so I couldn't name my priest that)
Xureon

Post by Xureon » 25 Feb 2009 00:15

Well... for anyone that could possibly care, we've got our release show planned for March 21st, in Kuurne, Belgium. There will be two pretty good German metal bands there as well :)
More info on the website.

You're of course all invited :P

Xureon
Cend

Post by Cend » 25 Feb 2009 02:10

There's a druid called *Gwyllion* on our server.Must be a fan :wink:
Xureon

Post by Xureon » 25 Feb 2009 03:29

Wow there's a lot of characters named Gwyllion apparently :P hmm... I wonder how many of them know the band :mrgreen:

It's actually a creature from the Celtic/Welsh mythology if I remember correctly - some kind of a naughty fairy, trying to lure wanderers away from the roads to make them get lost. I didn't think it was that known though ... I do notice that the majority of the WoW-"Gwyllion"s are female and elf (either Night- or Blood) :)

Gwyllion is actually the plural form though so they're all wrong, hahaha -- there's only 5 "Gwyll"s

Xureon
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 25 Feb 2009 07:39

belgium ppl are weird :? :lol:
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Gamberra
Die-Harder

Post by Gamberra » 25 Feb 2009 09:03

http://www.gwyllion.com/joris.php

I like your style

In spain we have a music band with similar music ..I think

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2R1Kmfe9OE

they are no longer the same :cry:
Genetics
Die-hard

Post by Genetics » 06 Mar 2009 20:16

Just got your cd ... (before release so shhhh :) )

Its awsome, i like it alot.
Xureon

Post by Xureon » 07 Mar 2009 02:04

Gamberra wrote:http://www.gwyllion.com/joris.php

I like your style
:mrgreen:
Aphrodia wrote:Just got your cd ... (before release so shhhh :) )
Well not really, today was the actual release date :mrgreen:
But still, way to go! :)
Aphrodia wrote:Its awsome, i like it alot.
:D

We gave a 'listening party' in a bar this evening - only decided and announced that on our website last monday, but 12 people bought a CD and 5 tshirts/hoodies were sold. Not too bad :)
In total, we've sold 38 CDs on day 1 :mrgreen: (that includes 10 pre-orders, 12 this evening and the rest during the day by various band members) - and that's without having any idea whether they're actually selling them in stores already :P )

Xureon
Genetics
Die-hard

Post by Genetics » 07 Mar 2009 11:45

Gave or will give? because your brother said the listening would been on Saturday ... if iwas yesterday, i will kill him lol