PC troubles. Help required!

Here you can ask everything that's Guild related.

Moderator: Dust

Pallydra

PC troubles. Help required!

Post by Pallydra » 04 Aug 2009 13:31

So as some of you know my main PC has been playing up over the last few days, and I am supposed to get it repaired, but I thought I might aswell see if it would start today.

and it did!

Now when I get into windows its says my Raid-0 is damaged, I click on the pop up, and it brings me to the harddisk/drive settings.

In there it says a harddisk has reported a fail, and its having trouble either reading or writing data on it.

So from what I understand the Raid-0 is something that puts data on different harddisks, which makes the PC faster, but it also meens the PC dies totally if one of the harddisks die?

Help would be awesome! (Dont wanna start 3.2 on a laptop!)
"Otto spells Otto backwards"

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Cyberia
Site Admin

Re: PC troubles. Help required!

Post by Cyberia » 04 Aug 2009 13:43

If you don't know what your doing I would get it repaired. I'm surprised you have Raid configured on a home machine. I'm aware I'm going to get computer geeks jumping up and down now saying "I have Raid on my machine and its great".

And I hope you have backups of that machine as you are right you probably have lost everything on the hard disks. Rebuilding raid arrays is incredibly hard. Unless you start using RAID-5 (6) which has redundancy built in to protect the data.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 04 Aug 2009 13:48

My only suggestion is to try and run CHKDSK
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 04 Aug 2009 14:35

Which is? =P

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 04 Aug 2009 14:36

Welll it seems like I havent lost anything, currently am trying to copy it all to my extern harddisk, but it takes ages..

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 04 Aug 2009 14:40

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265

Glad your getting a result though.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 04 Aug 2009 15:00

RAID-0 is not a real raid, it has no redundancy.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels
The speed gain comes from writing half the data on each disk. The drawback is that you lose all data when one drive fails.

My tip is: Make Backups, and replace the damaged disk and rebuild the raid with a complete fresh install (or just swapp out the damaged disk and use the other as individual disk).
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 04 Aug 2009 18:12

Getting it repaired now, gonna have to delete all data though >.< Atleast I can get Windows 7 beta on it now!

And why is weird I have raid on a home PC? I suppose its because I bought it made for gaming, and cherry picked most parts.

Thanks for all the info guys, I should really get better at this kind of stuff myself!

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 04 Aug 2009 19:03

A normal raid wouldn't be bad. But a RAID-0? No thanks. Increasing the likelyhood for a catastrophic data loss event doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for a Home PC. It's nice for Video or other memory intensive work, as temp disk, for which data integrity is not absolutely crucial (especially since SMART can warn you when it happens).
But for data you want to keep, like your OS?
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Pallydra

Post by Pallydra » 04 Aug 2009 21:52

Hmm, havent got any really valuable data on it at the moment, some older documents that might be useful later on, I managed to copy everything that I would not be able to install once again.

The laptop is prolly better anyhow, though it doesnt seem to fit resolution wise to my screen >.>

If you meen OS as the operativ system, I got that on a disk aswell.

Quote Homer Simpson.

Genious...
Gianna
Ex-boss

Post by Gianna » 05 Aug 2009 22:11

Actually RAID-0 is fine at home if you are aware of the drawbacks. It usually does NOT add enough performance to be worth the hassle, though :)
(Especially if you have a crappy RAID controller...)

--G
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 05 Aug 2009 22:24

Define "Fine". I think it's useless, since you don't usually need the speed gain it gives, and rather problematic due to increased failure rate.
Kira

Post by Kira » 06 Aug 2009 01:20

Dust wrote:A normal raid wouldn't be bad. But a RAID-0? No thanks. Increasing the likelyhood for a catastrophic data loss event doesn't seem worth the tradeoff for a Home PC. It's nice for Video or other memory intensive work, as temp disk, for which data integrity is not absolutely crucial (especially since SMART can warn you when it happens).
But for data you want to keep, like your OS?
I never considered my OS as data that is crucial to keep :o Only takes a few hours to reinstall it on another drive. I don't keep personal documents on the same disk ofcourse.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 06 Aug 2009 05:11

OS includes Apps and Config.
Kira

Post by Kira » 06 Aug 2009 09:59

Dust wrote:OS includes Apps and Config.
Apps are easily reinstalled, and my /home directory not on my OS disk, and neither is my My Documents folder in windows :)