Classic Instances

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Classic Instances

Post by MindyMcfly » 27 Sep 2010 12:52

Ive been sending my bank toon, a shammie healer, through dungeons only to level up and finally got to Maraudon.

I never went here at the correct level in vanilla, no one ever wanted to come but why I have no idea, what a great looking instance.

It took us the best part of 2.5hrs to clear from start to finish but I loved every minute (I also gained two levels of XP).

It has made me think back to when instances wernt an easy way to farm badges/loot. So many runs in BRD, LBRS and UBRS for dungeon gear and I remember these taking the best part of an evening.

There isnt anything like this in any of the newer dungeons, such a shame.

Does anyone else have fond memories of these old epic instances.
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Idorian
Die-hard

Re: Classic Instances

Post by Idorian » 27 Sep 2010 13:22

I liked most of the old instances. They took a lot longer to complete then the current instances. Deadmines rocked if you ask me. But at end game instances Scholomance and Strath where nice too. The only intances I didn't liked was LBRS. That was an instances that for me always seems to be longer everytime I go there.
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 27 Sep 2010 16:52

when i was leveling my hunter and i got BRD as a random i dinged 3 times although the first 1 was after about 10 kills we cleared the whole place and we was in there for what seamed like a day but no one cared cause we ware getting so much xp. Like mindy said the northrend dungeons take all of 20 mins even with a freshly dinged 80 so depressing :(
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 27 Sep 2010 16:55

also when i did a random heroic on my druid one night just as we got in The Nexus a timer apeared saying server restart in 15 mins so we decided to see how far we could get and ......... we cleared the place with with 6 mins to spare none of use colud believe it and all agreed that was the most fun ever had in The Nexus
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 28 Sep 2010 09:11

BRD reminds me of attuning about 30 people to onixya over two days. Just AOEing the mobs clearing that full ring... grrrr.

UBRS was when I played my Hunter, kiting Drakki was always interesting, there's nothing like that in WoW now :(

Mostly I remember the slow crowd controlled pulls in Dire Maul, that place was vast and I will never forget the Warlock epic mount quest once Id got Mindy to 60... brilliant fun.

StratUD and Scholomance never seemed to get boring for me either, which is weird.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zelorra

Post by Zelorra » 28 Sep 2010 14:55

The games change, especially if they are years old. The more new content a game has, the easier the previous content is made, because that content really is obsolete for the main player base, and it would be really frustrating for new players to struggle in low level content. Almost nobody wants to spend 5 hours in BRD, most all want to get to the end game

I see the comment about the WotLK instances and how easy are they. Yes, they are, because

1) They are 2 years old

2) They were nerfed several times

3) You know them with your eyes closed

But they were not THAT easy in the beginning. In fact, the dude from HoL was at one point the most dangerous boss in the game.

The "new" HoR is really hard because it needs a good tank. I've almost never got past the first 2 bosses with a druid tank, and I mean well geared druid tank. I don't know if they just suck as a tank class in that situation, or I was really unlucky. The warriors are close to druids. Only paladins seem to have no problem, whatever the gear is. :lol:
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 28 Sep 2010 15:37

I never had a problem tanking HoR, I just let the idiots that dont stand behind me die, they eventually get it :roll:

People are obviously not used to using line of sight, the second room in ICC is a great example.

Have to agree, the "harder" instances never get ran though, without the cross realm group tool no one would ever goto HoR, getting a group for HoL was a nightmare.

Id also hate to think how many wipes I had on "murmur" my first time in Shadow Labyrinth. :roll:

From TBC, I think MgT was the most painful, Im sure Dust will tell you how many runs we had in there :mrgreen:

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 28 Sep 2010 15:39

come on mindy you used to love going to kill murmer with me , bod , daisey and paladan and you was on keal ah those ware the days..... sigh....sigh
Last edited by shiftnshape on 28 Sep 2010 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 28 Sep 2010 15:53

Nothing will beat the Kara runs, falling out with Harg, leaving Shadowlords and always loosing the roll on the tier 4 glove token :roll:

You'll see as you raid with TCW that my luck sucks, much worse than Gyon's... honest.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Zelorra

Post by Zelorra » 29 Sep 2010 12:15

MindyMcfly wrote:I never had a problem tanking HoR, I just let the idiots that dont stand behind me die, they eventually get it :roll:
The problem with HoR is that even with LoS and corners many many tanks have big aggro problems. And the LoS idea in HoR is pretty lame, I don't think it's the intended way to play that by far, is more like an exploit. Only once I went through that fighting in the open, I didn't even know it was possible, because every time all run to the corner :D

The problem with the old huge or not so huge instances is that they don't have a map. Of course, you can have an add-on, but the idea is that they made this incredibly retarded cave systems and no map. I remember once being so lost trying to get into Maraudon... Not to mention that Sunken Temple. Now, with LFG, if you die there usually the area map is not visible so if you don't know how to get to the entry the only option is the sickness. I've seen that every time I wiped in there, people just give up :P
Idorian
Die-hard

Post by Idorian » 29 Sep 2010 12:29

Zelorra wrote:
MindyMcfly wrote:I never had a problem tanking HoR, I just let the idiots that dont stand behind me die, they eventually get it :roll:
The problem with HoR is that even with LoS and corners many many tanks have big aggro problems. And the LoS idea in HoR is pretty lame, I don't think it's the intended way to play that by far, is more like an exploit. Only once I went through that fighting in the open, I didn't even know it was possible, because every time all run to the corner :D

Since when is LoS an exploit? LoS is used since day 1 of this game. So I don't concider this as an exploit at all. Of it's always possible to fight in the open. With some crowd control etc it's possible. But why not using LoS pulls. Trust me if they don't want you to use LoS pulls they wouldn't create that much corners in there.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 29 Sep 2010 12:42

Ive always used line of sight, its the most effective way of grouping casters and since most dps HAVE to be top on the meters they just nuke away regardless of if its being tanked.

In HoR if people arnt around the corner the casters simply pick on them, its their mistake and cant blame a tank as most do.

With regards to running back, thats a rubbish throw back of the new LFG tool, having to fight your way to BFD, Dead Mines, Uldaman, Maraudon, Sunken Temple, BRD and Dire Maul was always part of the fun :mrgreen:

Im looking forward to nice guild runs in the new instances.

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Fangfury
Die-hard

Post by Fangfury » 29 Sep 2010 12:49

MindyMcfly wrote:Ive always used line of sight, its the most effective way of grouping casters and since most dps HAVE to be top on the meters they just nuke away regardless of if its being tanked.

In HoR if people arnt around the corner the casters simply pick on them, its their mistake and cant blame a tank as most do.

With regards to running back, thats a rubbish throw back of the new LFG tool, having to fight your way to BFD, Dead Mines, Uldaman, Maraudon, Sunken Temple, BRD and Dire Maul was always part of the fun :mrgreen:

Im looking forward to nice guild runs in the new instances.
If a DPS pulls a mob before I do in instances, I let them tank it. I will protect the healer if they are stupid enough to heal the idiot DPS.

The noble Argent Dawn looks beyond petty issues and differences
Zelorra

Post by Zelorra » 30 Sep 2010 08:26

Idorian wrote:Since when is LoS an exploit? LoS is used since day 1 of this game. So I don't concider this as an exploit at all. Of it's always possible to fight in the open. With some crowd control etc it's possible. But why not using LoS pulls. Trust me if they don't want you to use LoS pulls they wouldn't create that much corners in there.
It is in that situation, because the fight SUCKS if you use it. I'm pretty sure that fight was designed to be a response for those who cry that there is no CC in the game, and they sat down and said "Let's give them something to CC". I'm absolutely sure they didn't think that as a lame stack of 4 people in a corner, counting on uber tank / healer :D
MindyMcfly wrote:In HoR if people arnt around the corner the casters simply pick on them, its their mistake and cant blame a tank as most do.
Everybody knows to stay in the corner there, that is not the problem. The casters and anybody else pick on those in the corner anyways if the tank is not quick in gathering them. I've had countless of times a priest just running at me and hitting me in the head. I've seen countless of times mobs going directly for the healer and just butcher him in the corner. That is tank related. Just go there and try it. Stay LoS and see what happens if the tank does not react properly. It's true the casters won't pick you from far away, but they will come next to you, hit you in the head and then start casting :D
Genetics
Die-hard

Post by Genetics » 30 Sep 2010 09:06

Los so so not an exploit.

See BWL ....

Firemaw, people had to go los to remove the debuff, healers had to stand Los of sight for boss but not for tank so they can keep healing.
Chromodog: Healers went los for the stun. but dps had to get the stun to not get aggro above the tank.
Nefarian, before u had to use los of the pillars to survive his arrival.

Also in Wolk we have such bosses. The cat lady. else her cats kill tanks in mater of seconds.

Los is a big part in this game. And idd like some mentioned, to pull casters.