Raspberry Pi

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Tiel
Die-hard

Raspberry Pi

Post by Tiel » 22 Jun 2012 11:56

Today my Raspberry Pi arrived! (a day after my Vertex II SSD died :()
Looks like this thingie: Image

I hope I have a functioning adapter to power it, I'll hook it up to my 47" TV, put an 8GB SD card with Debian Wheezy on it and we'll see what happens! I'll make some sort of media center out of it with a browser and games and everything. Should be fun!

Anyone else has one or is planning to get it? Cost me less than 40 euros including shipping from the UK.
Ballrazor

Re: Raspberry Pi

Post by Ballrazor » 22 Jun 2012 18:12

Very nice. Been planning on getting one for the very same reason. I'd be very interested in hearing how it works out for you.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 22 Jun 2012 18:58

I want to get one from the second revision, with ethernet. Maybe using the GPIO as controller for LED Room Lighting. I found nice UV LEDs and uv active Paint.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 24 Jun 2012 17:54

Never though about using it as a media player... ohhhh.....
----------------------------------------

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
shiftnshape

Post by shiftnshape » 24 Jun 2012 22:46

Thats an awesome idea useing it as a media center as my xbox360 died on me i have no way of watching all my videos on my tv.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 25 Jun 2012 10:15

Dust wrote:I want to get one from the second revision, with ethernet. Maybe using the GPIO as controller for LED Room Lighting. I found nice UV LEDs and uv active Paint.
Yeah that would be a much cooler use of it, unfortunately I'm not really good with those things.
I do have the Ethernet version though, I don't think the cheaper one is even for sale yet.

I'm currently powering it from the USB port from my TV. So far no problems, but I haven't connected the UTP cable yet. That might draw some power that the TV might not supply.
Also, I need to attach a USB hub to it, since I'm using both for mouse and keyboard. A hard disk won't fit, so I'll have to use a hub or ethernet to supply the content.
Also, for some old nintendo game simulation i can use my USB controllers and that needs even more ports! But I'm not sure if it's powerful enough.

Either way, it's fun to have and not expensive anyway. Order times might be up to 3 months right now, so waiting isn't gonna speed it up! I got it from RS-online.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Jun 2012 10:40

Thing is you could beef up your power supply with parts from RS too, they are designed to be tinkered with?

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 25 Jun 2012 14:33

MindyMcfly wrote:Thing is you could beef up your power supply with parts from RS too, they are designed to be tinkered with?
Of course.
I'll probably just buy a random USB charger that gives me 1 amp or so. Can get that at any local store, I don't have to order that from RS in the UK :)
It operates on a minimum of 500mA without ethernet and 700 with ethernet. More than 1200 will make the fuse shut the device off for a few hours. You can't easily blow it up and with too little power you'll get kernel panics. The Blackberry charger works, but is only 700 amp and that could be a problem if you wanna attach 5 USB devices through a non-powered hub and stuff.

It's not the fastest device out there but so far Debian Wheezy runs fairly smooth.
MindyMcfly
Die-Harder

Post by MindyMcfly » 25 Jun 2012 16:18

I saw people running Quake 3 arena on one, pretty impressive really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI

GM of Real-Life™

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 25 Jun 2012 18:00

I read it's barely powerful enough for a C64. Maybe the code of that thing wasn't optimized.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 26 Jun 2012 09:56

MindyMcfly wrote:I saw people running Quake 3 arena on one, pretty impressive really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_mDuJuvZjI
It's a 700mhz CPU with a GPU that can decode 1080p video. Quake III runs on a Pentium II, so I don't see your point :)
Quake III is just programmed extremely well.
I haven't tried it yet, but I will. I have a 47" TV, so I'd love to get some old kickass PC games running.
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 27 Jun 2012 11:25

For those wanting to run a media centre on it, there are builds of XBMC for it:

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Raspberry_Pi

To my mind its the best media centre out there, I use it on an Acer Revo.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 27 Jun 2012 14:52

I know. Nice as a media player but I want my TV to become a PC, basically :)
Will still give it a shot, I'm not really familiar with how far its feature set extends.
Cyberia
Site Admin

Post by Cyberia » 28 Jun 2012 15:32

It won't make it into a PC (Although they do have unbuntu underneath), its much more orientated towards home theater.
Tiel
Die-hard

Post by Tiel » 29 Jun 2012 12:48

Cyberia wrote:It won't make it into a PC (Although they do have unbuntu underneath), its much more orientated towards home theater.
I want something like xmbc, but I would also wanna use the browser, a torrent client and maybe even skype (somehow).
You can run xbmc on wheezy too i think, it has a browser so it might be an option if switching to and from xbmc works smoothly.