Dps, Tank or Healer?

Here you can ask everything that's WoW related.

Moderator: Dust

Stormwern
Die-hard

Dps, Tank or Healer?

Post by Stormwern » 02 Sep 2007 01:03

Most if not all here have found a role in raid they feel comfortable with. I'm sure there's a link between that role and your personality, and with few exceptions, I think this is it. Enjoy :)

Dps:
You enjoy yourself the most when you focus on a few tasks, and get really good at them. You love competing, you love winning, and you know you're really the best even if you don't. Your second love, or sometimes your first, is big numbers, dps in particular. Nothing gets your heart beating like a number going up.

Tank:
You work best alone, and like being in complete control (why overnuking is so frustrating to tanks). You live to tank the biggest baddest monsters in the world and come out ok. All the danger and exitement you want out of a fight is when something almost goes wrong, but you manage to fix it before anyone actually notice. Gear has little to do with vanity or competition for you, it's simply the only thing that stands between the raid and a giant ravenous monster, and you really want it to be enough.

Healer:
You play for the challenge, to stare wipe in the face and laugh. What makes you enjoy your job is the intensity, complexity, and the cooperation, which btw beats competition any day of the week. Since it's almost impossible to compete in healing, you don't spend too much thought on gear unless you really need it, though it's always a welcome help when you get something.

I'm definitely healer with a slab of tank. :D
Last edited by Stormwern on 15 Dec 2011 16:11, edited 1 time in total.
Dust
The Boss

Post by Dust » 02 Sep 2007 01:45

This is not completely wrong.
I do what I think is right. But I don't think that what I think is right can not be wrong.
Damocles

Post by Damocles » 02 Sep 2007 02:16

Good analysis.

Thats maybe why I have no interest at all in healing yet tanking I really want to try out.

Bad tanking is obvious immediately. Good tanking normally is too and Id like to try being the focus of a raid (well, my ego does and thats big) Thats opposite to what you say though:) Id love to say to the DPS 'Spam away Ive got it under control'. Id also like to be the puller which is hard as a Mage (seems a small thing but it makes a massive difference to raid/party speed and I hate kicking my heels and that does bother me)

DPS often just leads to an easier run but is generally not noticed except by us doing it. The competition is certainly there, particulary between rival classes. So that defiantely attracts the epeen types and can lead to very selfish behaviour (you didnt mention this to your credit, but it does in some)

Healers I always think as the unloved amongst players. They can get blamed if its a wipe whether its their fault or not. But no one except the healer and the tank may know they did a brillaint raid saving heal. So whats the attraction being one? Cooperation is attractive for some yes. But all classes have to cooperate in some way, although with healers its certainly more.

I think im too selfish to be a healer and id certainly loose my temper too much if I was blamed all the time:)
Stormwern
Die-hard

Post by Stormwern » 02 Sep 2007 07:49

Id like to try being the focus of a raid (well, my ego does and thats big) Thats opposite to what you say though:)
In my experience, being the MT becomes business as usual after the first week (though I've seen horrible examples of the oposite in previous guilds). The rush is to beat the boss, survive whatever he throws at you.
lionas

Post by lionas » 02 Sep 2007 10:43

the dps part is fairly true tbhnice post cheers :)
Yiggie

Post by Yiggie » 02 Sep 2007 16:10

Damocles wrote:I think im too selfish to be a healer and id certainly loose my temper too much if I was blamed all the time:)
It's great to be a healer :) and I rarely feel unappreciated. Put aside my low loot competition, the relative ease of finding a free spot for me in an instance run and the fun I may or may not get from healing ...

It's like being on a different layer, raiding in a different dimension, the whole raid takes care of the encounter, what ever it may be, and you just let them do what ever they have to do and just focus on what's going on "behind the scenes". Every one makes sure you can do your job and that you are protected at all times and you just have to work with your fella' healers (on a separate channel) to find a way to keep our guildies alive through the hells they put them selves in.

No single player is responsible for taking down a raid boss, we're all just small pieces of a bigger raid "machine", whether you stand in front of the boss and survive his punishment or do the most damage to it, it's the raid that got it down, not you of course so I don't know how ego gets to play a role in class choice :>
Damocles

Post by Damocles » 02 Sep 2007 16:40

Its true in a Guilds the usual blame the healer doesnt happen (unless they are terrible) but ive never been shouted at for bad DPS even if it was (by the raid in general) where healers do I think.

Actually I raid for one purpose and thats to achieve a common aim but Id be fooling myself if I didnt say I want to be the best at what I do. That does take some ego I think.

Im far from the best at DPS and the fun is trying to improve all the time. With healing how do you judge that simply? Especially when one bad healer in the healing team can mess it all up and you all get the blame. Also heal meters often give the wrong result, the best healer is not necessarily the one that healed the most but the one who was the most effective. How do you judge that?

I think healers have to be Saints as Id last 5 minutes before I exploded:)
Jinxo

Post by Jinxo » 02 Sep 2007 17:13

I was a healer, now im DPS. Im confused :D

Split personality.
Stormwern
Die-hard

Post by Stormwern » 02 Sep 2007 19:48

Ofc you can have traits from several roles, I'm both healer and tank.
Yiggie

Post by Yiggie » 02 Sep 2007 21:54

Ye Damo I guess you're right :>
Ltuan
Die-hard

Post by Ltuan » 03 Sep 2007 00:22

Hmm Based on that description and where I fit, I should start playing Lt as my main again...
Ltuan / Ibu & Horde Defector...