Virocana's Asian Movies Recommendation

Here you can talk about everything that's offtopic.

Moderator: Dust

Virocana

Virocana's Asian Movies Recommendation

Post by Virocana » 28 May 2008 14:23

Disclaimer : All movies are not related to me and I do not make any profit from them whatsoever.

Hello everyone,

As the title of the post suggests, I am an avid fan of Asian movies, and I'm here to share some of the Asian-movie-goodness! :D
No doubt you'll know, or may have seen already, and might have your own opinion on, some of the titles I post here, but I'll try to only recommend you the movies which I personally think are really good. :wink:

The internationally-acclaimed :

Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Chinese
Cast : Chow Yun-Fat, Michelle Yeoh, Zhang Ziyi
Viro's notes : Nominated for Oscar, which says something for itself. Unlike many stereotypes of Asian (especially Chinese) movies, this movie relies heavily on its story, and not its fighting/action sequence. However, this movie also hosts one of the best fighting scenes I've ever seen, the twist is it's a fighting scene between two women. :D

Hero
Chinese
Cast : Jet Li, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Maggie Cheung, Zhang Ziyi, Donnie Yen
Viro's notes : Possibly one of the best Asian movies ever made. The fighting scenes are breathtaking, one of the best as well; and the story is amazing, with a deep underlying message. It stars some of the most famous Chinese actors, and even if you don't want to see the other movies I recommended, at least watch this one, it's *that* good.

Wuxia (Chinese Martial Arts) movies :

Fearless
Chinese
Cast : Jet Li, Collin Chou
Viro's notes : Jet Li's last Hong Kong wuxia movie. The fighting scenes in this movie also stands out from the rest, and the story's not disappointing either. It's loosely based on a historical Chinese figure, who is more of a legend.

House of Flying Daggers
Chinese
Cast : Andy Lau, Zhang Ziyi, Takeshi Kaneshiro
Viro's notes : A very nice story, and a movie with a more realistic feel. Do give it a try as well.

Romance :

My Sassy Girl
Korean
Cast : Jeon Ji-Hyun, Cha Tae-Hyun
Viro's notes : As far as romance movies go, nothing, and I mean NOTHING, will ever measure up to this movie. It's tear-breaking, heart-wrenching, but it's also one of the most beautiful piece of film I've ever seen. It will be remade to a Hollywood version soon, and I beg you to do the world a favor and watch this first before it happens.

Il Mare :
Korean
Cast : Jeon Ji-Hyun, Lee Jung-Jae
Viro's notes : Another lovely movie. It has been made to a Hollywood version, titled The Lake House (I bet you know this movie, with Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock), however I'd say the original Korean version gets to me a lot more. For me, it's also one of the movies that boasts the most beautiful, scenic background, and one of the greatest soundtrack.

Fantasy :

The Promise
Chinese
Cast : Hiroyuki Sanada, Cecilia Chung, Nicholas Tse, Jang Dong-Gun
Viro's notes : This movie is more like between a romance movie and a wuxia movie. Personally, I find this movie to be not too interesting at first, but quickly exceeds my expectations and by the end of the movie, I was left amazed.

Warriors of Heaven and Earth
Chinese
Cast : Jiang Wen, Kiichi Nakai, Zhao Wei
Viro's notes : An action-fantasy movie. Personally, I love how it relates to the history of the Silk Road, most definitely worthwhile to see.

Drama :

The Twilight Samurai
Japanese
Cast : Hiroyuki Sanada, Rie Miyazawa
Viro's notes : While it has fight sequences, it focuses more heavily on the story aspect and the everyday struggle of the lead character. The movie is also recognized as an accurate portrayal of Japan at that time, hence for me it's also an added value to the movie.

Wait 'Til You're Older
Chinese
Cast : Andy Lau, Karen Mok, Felix Wong
Viro's notes : It's a beatiful movie, which can remind you of the true value of a family.

Action :

Infernal Affairs (I, II, and III)
Chinese
Cast : Andy Lau, Tony Leung Chiu Wai
Viro's notes : Widely heralded in Asia as the best Hong Kong movie in the last few years. This movie, is remade to become the Oscar-winning Hollywood movie, The Departed. Yes, once again, The Departed is a remake from this one. I find the original Hong Kong movie to be better, since it is originally is split into three parts; while The Departed is a very Americanized version and it forcefully fits the 3 movies into just 1.

A Battle of Wits
Chinese
Cast : Andy Lau
Viro's notes : It's a war-action movie, derived from a manga, and heavily focuses on the strategy.

The Warlords
Chinese
Cast : Jet Li, Andy Lau, Takeshi Kaneshiro
Viro's notes : Another action-war movie, which is worth it to see based on the cast alone.

Comedy :

Kung Fu Hustle
Chinese
Cast : Stephen Chow
Viro's notes : Extremely funny! Widely held as one of the best Hong Kong movies as well.
Last edited by Virocana on 28 May 2008 15:23, edited 3 times in total.
Cend

Re: Virocana's Asian Movies Recommendation

Post by Cend » 28 May 2008 14:55

I've watched 4 pf those films long time ago and can't complain

The first time I watched Kung Fu Hustle I had no sounds or voice but still had to watch till the end was so funny at times :D
Pillowpowah

Post by Pillowpowah » 28 May 2008 15:39

Nice post Viro!! =))

Downloading Kung Fu Hustle now =)))
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 28 May 2008 20:19

Nice post indeed, i watched a bunch of the flicks you recommended.

Anyway i realy miss

FIST OF LEGEND with Jet Li,
This is what i found one of the coolest Martial arts flicks ive seen. :)
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Knetter
Die-Harder

Post by Knetter » 29 May 2008 08:18

I really miss "Shichinin no samurai" (aka "Seven Samurai") in that list

Knetter, Tiny Tank Emeritus

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"
Yamasa

Post by Yamasa » 06 Jun 2008 07:01

I love Jet Li, nice post Viro :)
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 08 Jun 2008 22:36

If you love these movies, a must watch is The Forbidden Kingdom". I have just seen it, and one of the best movies I have seen for a very very long time. scored 10/10 for me ( it does not happen too often :wink: )
Knetter
Die-Harder

Post by Knetter » 08 Jun 2008 22:39

Yeah, Forbidden Kingdom is a very nice movie. I wouldn't call it very good, but it is very, very entertaining.
Knetter, Tiny Tank Emeritus

"What we do in life, echoes in eternity"
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 09 Jun 2008 12:50

hm lol. very good=very very entertaining
or
very good< very very entertaining
or
very good > very, very entertaining?

anyway :) it was good for me as I dont normally watch movies. and yes. it was entertaining:P
Virocana

Post by Virocana » 09 Jun 2008 14:30

Heya, I guess it's about time I should reply back to this thread again... :D

Thanks for the responses, it's nice to know that there are many people that like Eastern cinemas as well...

I'll try to put the many feedbacks and additions from other people as well.

Jem recommends The Killer, a movie by John Woo starring Chow Yun-Fat
Unfortunately I can not say much about this movie, as I haven't got around to watching it (sorry Jem, will do soon, promise :D).

Esoteric recommends Fist of Legend, starring Jet Li
I agree that this is a very cool movie indeed. I don't know if you know it Eso, but this movie is a remake from Bruce Lee's Fist of Fury, but with a few more twists and additions. I personally like Jet Li's fighting style in this movie, as it would seem he fights by combining the more 'fluid' style of Chinese wushu with a more 'rigid' boxing style, you can see it clearly in a few scenes. :)
PS: just in case you might be interested in the original version, I will include the movie poster.

Knetter recommends Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai
I also have seen this movie, but I'll go out and be honest with you, that while it may seem shallow, I simply prefer newer movies with color. That doesn't mean I can't appreciate older or black&white movies, however. This movie is repeatedly heralded as one of the greatest movies of all time, and I don't think I have the expertise to do justice by talking about this movie, but from what I can say, for 1954 this movie is brilliant.

Gyon recommends The Forbidden Kingdom, starring Jet Li and Jackie Chan
I just have to say that the movie poster is the best I've ever seen. This movie is especially noted for being the first onscreen collaboration between Jet Li and Jackie Chan. Although while I agree that it's very entertaining, I wouldn't call it very good indeed. Another point is that this movie is actually a Hollywood movie, and if I may say so, while being a martial arts film, it lacks the feel that Hong Kong wuxia movies have. That being said, the fight scene between Jet Li and Jackie Chan is just plain amazing, definitely among the best I've ever seen.
Gyon
Die-hard

Post by Gyon » 09 Jun 2008 15:33

Although while I agree that it's very entertaining, I wouldn't call it very good indeed
aw come on guys give me a break :lol:
I see 1 movie /year and I enjoyed it :roll:
Virocana

Post by Virocana » 09 Jun 2008 16:47

Aww Gyon, I didn't intend to direct my post to you in any way possible...

It was good, and it was entertaining, and the rest of my comment was just my personal opinion. :lol:
Idorian
Die-hard

Post by Idorian » 11 Jun 2008 14:54

I've seen alot of Asian movies and as much other you got some good and bad movies.

- Salinui chueok (Memories of Murder)
- Returner
- Zatoichi
- Volcano High
- House of Flying daggers
- Bin Jip
- Hero
- Battle Royal I (2nd one sucked :p )
- Black Mask
- Ichi the killer
- Old Boy
- Huo Yuan Jia (Fearless)
- Tau ming chong (Warlords)

Those are some movies that i can remember watching. But i'm sure i've forgot alot of good ones.
Esoteric
Die-hard

Post by Esoteric » 18 Jun 2008 01:45

Hey can you guys post or PM me some nasty horror/thriller flicks ?

I have seen some very insane good ones from asia, and trust me those were realy great.

And no i dont remember the names sadly cause a few of them i still searchin for.
Don't micromanage my psychodamage.
Colyn
Die-Harder

Post by Colyn » 25 Jun 2008 12:17

Fabulous post Virocana. I loved Crouching Tiger/Hero/Flying Daggers/Battle Royale but struggled finding similar and recommended movies.

Colyn | Warrior
Squirrels chase Magpies. It's true. I've seen it...